1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defragging XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mstine, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mstine

mstine Thread Starter

I have had my computer 1 year and have never defraged it. How long appromitly would it take to do this?
    I won't be able to do anything on my computer while it is defraging will I?
    THanks

:confused: :eek: (n) :eek: :cool:

2. jspatz1

jspatz1

There is no way to say how long your defrag will take. It depends entirely on how large your hard disk is and how fragmented it is. CHances are it will take at least an hour, but could take multiple hours depending on how big your drive is.

Yes, you will be able to do other things while the defrag is running. That's what Windows is all about, multi-tasking. Performance will just be slow and sluggish, especially when accessing files on your drive.

I would recommend before you defrag that you delete everything you possibly can and don;t need. This includes, temp files, temp internet files, histories, recent lists, dowloads and docs you don;t need, etc. No sense in defraging things you don;t want. They will only recreate more fragmented space when you do delete them.

3. rayearle

rayearle

I've read recently that defragging makes no difference on todays multiple Ghz CPU's with much faster (than ten years ago) data transfer rates. As one who has frequently defragged for nearly fifteen years, I will say that on older slower CPU's with slow disk transfer rates it used to make a noticeable difference, whereas on the faster computers of today it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference any more. That said, I still think it's a good idea to defrag upon occasion. Concerning the question of working on the computer while it's being defragged, it's OK to do so but you're partially defeating the purpose of degragment, by potentially introducing more fragmentation, while the dragmentation is taking place. Older Windows defragger versions were notorious for restarting if disk activity took place during defragmentation... but of course you can do so.

4. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

mstine, if you're a user who hasn't considered defragging for a full year, I'd suggest you learn a little bit more about system maintenance. Your personal computer no doubt cost you a few bucks, and a little knowledge in this area can go a long way toward protecting that investment.

Have you ever run chkdsk?

Have you ever run the Disk Cleanup Utility?

Have you ever run a spyware cleaner?

You don't need to become an expert in the area of system maintenance, but you can protect your investment for years to come by learning just a little.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice