1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defragging

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pchudnofsky, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pchudnofsky

pchudnofsky Thread Starter

System Windows X/P Home SP2

When I defrag my Hard Drive, it states there is a file that couldn't be defragged. This has just recently started, all other times I've had no problem.

The file is
    \WINDOWS\Prefectch\RUNDLL32.EXE-268BFF96.pf

There is probably no issue with the state that it's in, but I was wondering how I can fix
    the file so that it's no longer an issue when I run a DEFRAG.

Thanks...../Phil

2. zabusant

zabusant

Run Check disk

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You can just delete the file if you wish. It will be recreated the next time that Rundll32 is executed.

But, at the same time, there is nothing to worry about, just because a file can't be defragged.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are typically many files that can't be defragged, either because they are in use, too large, or unmovable files. This is normal. Your drive is fragged again within seconds of shutting down the defragger, anyway, so perfection can not be achieved and would not accomplish anything.

5. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Like Elvandil said. If your defragging a SYSTEM drive, typically your C: drive, this contains windows files and pagefiles which simply may be in use and cannot be defragged.

To decently defrag, boot to safe mode command prompt and run the defrag from the command line. Couple nice options you don't get from the logical disk manager is 'force' defrag even on low free space, and verbose output giving you lots of info on the fragged files.

'defrag C: -v' works for me, but you can just eliminate the -v. If your out of space substitute a -f in place of the -v.

As long as you run defrag on C: from the desktop you will encounter these 'cannot defrag' messages.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Or, get Paragon Total Defrag 2007 which defrags offline. It allows you to defrag and shrink the MFT and order files according to modification date, access date, or size. Directories can also be moved to the front.

I occasionally defrag with DIRMS in UBCD4Win for a complete job.

But the fact is that a total defrag is completely unnecessary and doesn't improve system performance unless your drive is heavily fragmented.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Another useful switch is Defrag C: -b
    Assuming C is the OS drive/partition this will defrag boot up files, may make boot a little faster.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Never saw that -b switch before. Does that work on Vista, too?

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Given that switch is not documented, where did you get the info on it?

For example, this site makes reference to it, but states that it defrags the Prefetch files (which are not boot files). This may or may not happen, but since the Prefetch files are just "normal" files, a routine defrag is going to defrag them. It can't and shouldn't distinguish them.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  11. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Yup, -b is and old deprecated feature. I haven't seen it since '98 days.

I don't believe it's supported on NT class OS's like XP or Vista.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try it, it definitely does something.

13. zabusant

zabusant

I think I'll pass on this one, don't like stuff I can't verify:)

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yeh, it's tooooo risky, after all it's a Micro$oft EXE file, could make your PC explode.

15. zabusant

zabusant

That's it! I'm calling my psychiatrist right now! I can't take your abuse anymore! :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice