defragment problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

strawflower-

I am a newcomer to computers so hope you can help with this problem for me. Am trying to defrag. the C drive but the chart seems to stick at 5% completed. What causes this? It just seems to repeat over and over.

You've got a program running in the background that is writing to the disk, when it does, defrag has to restart. Lots of programs do this, you can see running processes by hitting control+alt+delete once, you can shut down programs one at a time until you find the one that is writing to disk (you need explorer and systray) or you can boot into safe mode (hit F8 during boot) and run scandisk/defrag from there

strawflower-

I am really impressed...immediate response to my problem. thanks so much swwelsh, it worked like a charm. The defragmenting just moved right along after following your suggestion. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online