1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defragment Problems.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rfzbaker, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

Lately my computer has been going slower than usual, and I am having problems defragmenting my computer. I do a Disk Cleanup, it runs and then when it's finished I go to Disk Defragmenter. After I hit analyze, it runs for about 3 seconds, and then an error stating "Defragmentation of (C:] has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the filesystem. Please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on (C:] to repair these inconsistencies, then run disk defragmenter again. (I changed (C: ) to (C:] to avoid smiley faces)

Now, I looked everywhere, and I do not have "scandisk", I even searched for it using window's handy search tool. When I run CHKDSK it only goes through 2 of 3 steps, I never see the third step take place.

What I've done so far; Removed many programs I no longer us, rebooted several times. I'm not sure what else I would have to do. I'm running another Disk Cleanup, cleaning many more of the files, there are some I did not cleanup before.

Thanks to anyone who has anything to tell me. I appreciate it.

2. blaine2521

blaine2521

Go to run and type in SCNDSK or CHECKDISK. Ive had this problem before sounds like a parameter problem i couldnt figure out how to fix it so i just reformated my computer..

3. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

Neither CHECKDISK nor SCNDSK appear to be working. (Says they do not exist). How do I go about reformatting my computer, it has been a year.[This is the last thing I want to try] :p

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Double click on My Computer . . RIght click on the drive . . select Properties . . click on Tools tab. . then the Check Now button . . put a check in both boxes and tell it to check on next start.

Reboot to check the disc

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I open a command window (Start - Run - cmd - OK) and run
    chkdsk /F

It immediately tells me it can't run 'cause somebody else is using C: and do I want to run it on the next restart. I respond Y and then Restart. I don't watch it run, so don't know if it displays any useful information.

The /F is for "fix" any errors.

I think this is the same as simpswr's way.

6. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

I just did what you said. It said the files were clean. I tried defragmenting, and I received the same error again. I'm somewhat worried now >.<. Oh, and hello again Terrynet :)

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

First thing I'd do is backup any files you cherish . . Next step is to download and run drive diagnostics from the drive manufacturer

8. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

Alright. Ive never backed up files before. (I'm sure i'll figure it out :rolleyes: )

What is drive diagnostics from the drive manufacturer, that is new to me.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Man . . you live dangererously . . Data not backed up is data you do not care to keep!

The drive manufacturers have diagnostics that you can download . . first find out what brand the drive is, then go to their website for the diagnostics.

10. techy689

techy689

Better idea. As long as you have your windows restore cd, your in good shape.

Go to start > run > cmd> and then type in 'sfc /scannow' .... this will search ure computer for errors and fix them.

11. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

It reads the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name>sfc /scannow
    'sfc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\My name>

12. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Try a defrag again.

If there are still errors in the disk structure it will refuse to run.

I don't think a SFC run will resolve defrag refusing to run due to disk errors.

13. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

If I click Analyze, it gets to 35%. If I click defrag, it gets to 95%. But, still getting the error.

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

Backup your data . . run the drive diagnostics . . SFC will only correct missing or corrupt windows system files . . does nothing for drive defects ( which your drive would seem to have )

15. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Have you done basic housecleaning first?

Deleted browser cache?
    Deleted Temp files?
    Emptied Recycle bin?

Also, when you ran with the /F switch, you DID you through a restart?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice