1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defragmentation of upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StoneRyno, Oct 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

Back in the day before windows 8 and 10 I used win2k pro for it's stability and speed over other windows versions. One of the things that I had to do was use a 3rd party defragmentation tool because the built in one was "horrible" as was said about it. I originally dismissed this but as time went on HD activity got worse using the built in one and so I ended up getting what was recommended (I believe from here) to me back then diskeeper by executive software (version 9). That one did miracles to speed up things once I started using it. But then I think it was windows vista or 7 came out and I was told by them that they would no longer be making diskeeper to work with windows going forward because they'd have to rewrite diskeeper to work with it and that the built in one in was just as good. Disappointed to hear that I did just that and went back to using the built in one. I honestly can't remember it being "horrible" or conversely just as good as diskeeper, because I do remember thinking I sure wish they would have made diskeeper to work with windows going forward.

It appears that company has changed their name twice since that day where they told me they would no longer be making diskeeper for windows. And there is a current version of and versions spanning all that time that I thought they weren't going to make it work with windows any more. If it was as bad as it is now years ago I would have been ticked off to think all this time I could have been using it. But anyway windows 10 pro has been getting progressively worse in HD performance on the same HD since it was originally clean installed. The current state of things is that for 30 minutes after I log into the PC I can do nothing more than maybe browse the web and even that is sluggish during that time frame because the HD usage is pegged at 100% for all that time.

Since no significant changes have taken place other than windows updates since clean installing windows 10 pro I can only assume this is an issue with the built in defragger not being adequate. It always says my drive is 0% fragmented. But the early days of having everything up and running, all the stuff I did and still do with the PC then and now that 30 minutes used to just be a minute or two. But that's not all, most everything I do with the PC if it has to access the HD a lot is it much slower than it used to me as well. I have virtual memory disabled so that it is not contributing to bogging down the HD and is something I have always had off from the start. So should I be buying this newest version of diskeeper that i thought never existed for the past 12+ years? So that once again the HD doesn't feel like the bottlneck? Or have prices of SSD come down to the point where I'm not getting ripped off to buy one to hold the OS and games such as guild wars 2, lord of the rings online, and many newer games. I don't keep all the games I own installed because it probably would need more than the 2TB HD currently in the PC. But it also never has more than 50% free space either. It's typically 60% full. And about half of that is the OS and games the rest is media and other kinds of files.

Relevant system info:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.1Ghz
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1199MHz (10-12-12-31)
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 (SATA)

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Turning off virtual memory will have bad results, as the OS cannot prioritize what to read from the hard drive or what to keep in RAM, effectively. Turn it back on, you will get better performance.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then maybe your HD has errors and is causing non-stop re-reads/retries.

SSD prices have dropped a lot within the past half year. See this one: https://www.newegg.com/adata-su630-960gb/p/0D9-0017-00106?Item=9SIAJNU8XH3676

SarahSims likes this.
  4. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

This here is the problem I face. It always says the drive is 0% fragmented. But yet as time has gone on it has ever increasingly performed like defragmentation has never been done.

I last checked the health of the HD not too long ago. It passes SMART test and chkdsk results are below. I'll run a detailed scan for bad sectors and report back though I don't expect to find any problems. I get the exact opposite results than you state. With 16GB of RAM it is never fuller than 70% so there is never any lack of RAM to require dumping for swap. The 70% state occurs with my most RAM intensive game which means there is still that 30% free that new stuff is loaded to while old stuff is dropped from the RAM. When it was enabled even with a small size it literally increased the HD activity as windows pointlessly used it and significantly negatively effected anything that used the HD heavily. In fact if I were to switch to SSD it would remain off because of the detriment to it's lifespan ignoring any of the above portion of my reply.

On that note I paid for $155 (in mid 2011) for my 2TB WD drive listed in the abbreviated specs I posted. A quick lookup on newegg there and I see a few 2TB SSD for $200. Which doesn't sound bad without looking into them in detail. I would certainly want to make sure I'm getting the most performance and capacity as possible for the price before making a purchase. For instance if two 1TB SSDs cost less and perform better than a single 2TB SSD and everything else equal such as quality then it would be silly of me not to go with the two 1TB SSDs of this example. Which leads me to if this is the route to go then it's time to dive into everything I need to know about buying an SSD and find out what gives me the most bang for the buck.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.775]
    (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    733952 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    24379 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    30097 reparse records processed.
    972482 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    30097 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    119266 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    34229512 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

1952521082 KB total disk space.
    1039055172 KB in 589925 files.
    360988 KB in 119267 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    912738 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    912192184 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    488130270 total allocation units on disk.
    228048046 allocation units available on disk.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Is your 2 TB drive all Drive C or do you have it partitioned? I may be strange but I have always partitioned my hard drives in about 1/2. I figure windows doesn't have to look in C as much if it is a little smaller. I have a 960GB 2 partitions C&D and a 1TB mechanical but that is just my preference. In fact that https://www.newegg.com/adata-su630-960gb/p/0D9-0017-00106?Item=9SIAJNU8XH3676 is my SSD that I put in a couple of months ago in one of my desktops and my laptop. My laptop went from a 5400 rpm HD to that A-data SSD and its a screamer now ha,ha. It was Sata III so I checked it and I went from 86Mbs with the hard drive to 560Mbs with the SSD. My desktop is old SATAII so it went from 116Mbs to 290Mbs and the web pages even load faster. They have the Samsung EVO SSD 1TB (most recommended) on for $129 right now. I picked one up for my brother. Oh your HD is from 2011? It is getting end of life, I hope you have everything backed up!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yep; a good quality ssd is about the "Best bang for the buck" upgrade you can do.

7. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

It's all drive C. And yes the drive is getting old one of the reasons also considered SSD as an option in this situation. I did test it for bad sectors and everything passed. Not sure what else WDs advanced test does but it is what I ran in addition to chkdsk. If that samsung is the best bang for my buck then I'd probably get that one. I assume that toms hardware is still the go to place for the best bang for your buck info?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will not even have to worry about defrag with a ssd. Win10 will take care of TRIM automatically and that is about all you will need to do.
    A quality ssd will make that system run like you have never seen before; best single upgrade you can do.

SarahSims likes this.
  9. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I thought about starting a new thread to ask this related question but I think asking it here might be just as good. Can I clone my existing drive to the new SSD and boot my PC just as if that new SSD was the HD in there all along? Or am I going to have to do a clean install and install all of the rest of my stuff all over again? Thanks.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes. Most ssd mfg have cloning software available for download.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice