1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defragmenting Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ludwig42, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ludwig42

Ludwig42 Thread Starter

I am currently running XP home edition. My hardrive is 120 G partitioned into C & D drives. In order to defragment the C drive, it requires 15% free disk space. My C drive has only 12%. The problem is however, that I can't figure out what is taking up that much memory on the C drive. The numbers don't seem to match up. When I right-click properties on the folders in the C drive, it doesn't add up to that much. When I check the properties on the documents and settings folder, it says it is over 5 G in size. When I check the folders inside, they don't add up. One of them actually says it contains over 300 folders with over 1200 files in it. However, I can only count a handful. Where are the hidden files? :confused:

2. RonK

RonK

To see all folders and hidden files - Click on Tools, Folder Options, then the View Tab. You can change the setting there.

3. Nutech12

Nutech12

U could also, do a clean up of your drive.

1) My computer> rite click on your hard drives c, d, consequetively>rite click, select Properties> click on disk cleanup> check the boxes that have files in them and delete them. (If u haven't already done this!)

Do U have a Spyware utility on your PC? i.e. Adaware or Spybot, if not get them and run them;

Do u have Kazaa on your PC, if yes get Kazaa begone, and uninstall Kazaa with this utility, it uninstalls all that garbage (software that comes along with having Kazaa) be sure to back up the software U have in the myshared folder in the Kazaa tree, otherwise it will get dumped;

What is your temp internet files cache set at (I have mine set at 2mb) some ppl have it set at 300-400 times that.. which is a waste of drive space! (unless of course U do a lot of 'offline readin' of web pages) that u can get from Internet Explorer>Tools>Options>Temporary internet Files>Delete your cookies; temp internet files AND then click on Settings>Type in the box 2 (to the left of it U will see mb) then click on apply and then ok.

Do U have Norton Utilities on your PC? If yes, I suggest running Norton Disk Doctor; System Doctor etc...

After U have done a few of these steps, U may have noticed some 'extra' space.

Of course pls use the step above what Ronk had suggested.. Just be careful what files u start deleting from those that are designated 'Hidden"

Hope something here helps...

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice