1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

defragmenting using NT

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iamamyp, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamamyp

iamamyp Thread Starter

I realize that it must be a very simple question, but I can't figure out how to defrag, using this operating system... Help, please! I'm used to start/programs/accessories/system tools/defrag, but it doesn't work w/ this application. (Windows NT 4.0)
    Thanks for the help. -amy

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is no built-in defragmenter in NT4. That didn't get added until Windows2000.

You will need a 3rd party program like Diskeeper to defrag NT4 Workstation or Server.

Bob Cerelli

3. iamamyp

iamamyp Thread Starter

Thank you for your response, Bob. I'll look into that. Do you have any other suggestions (such as the defrag) that would help my system run smoother/faster? I get a lot of error messages, "system running low on virtual memory", etc. I just ran spybot yesterday, so I'm on my way...:) (thanks again...)

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Actually I've never really seen that much performance difference running a defrag. There a so many other things that will increase performance a lot more.

1. If you are getting low on virtual memory, you should probably up the setting. This is something you can do right now.

Right click on My Computer
    Select Properties / Performance tab
    In the Virtual Memory section, click on the Change button
    I don't know what it is set at or how much memory you have, but typical settings are 1.5 to 2 times the amount of memory. Then click on set. Reboot.
    If this isn't enough then make it larger.

2. Add more memory. It's pretty inexpensive these days and can only make the system perform better.

3. Clean out the TEMP directory. This is the user's temp directory, not the IE cache. I've seen many computers where the owner was ready to get a new one. Just cleaning this out and rebooting made a huge difference in performance.

5. jameso321

jameso321

If the machine is 3+ years old, consider a clean install.

Even P2 based systems I manage to have XP running well on after a 100% clean install.

"nothing like a good system nuke to make all the problems go away" :)

jameso321

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!