1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defragmentor works, but a day later settings are wrong

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by missmandy, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missmandy

missmandy Thread Starter

I can get my computer to defragment, check back into my settings, states 0 days as to how long my computer has been defragmented. I can go back several hours later to recheck and my settings state that it has been 18 days since my computer was degragmented.

I had this problem awhile back and discovered my computer had a virus. I did a virus scan with Norton, even went into Symtec and did a virus scan there also. No virus detected.

I don't know where else to check. Please advise. Thank you!

:confused:

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Welcome to TSG
    I am not getting what you did about the virus....one was detected somehow....but not by Norton Antivirus.?? ..or, not when you scanned online ,did you mean, at the Symantec (Norton AV) site? Who or what "found" the virus, and did you record the filename of the virus?
    Here are some places to scan online:

www.housecall.antivirus.com

This one can take a long time to load the updates....
    be patient, it is a good scanner and cleaner.
    It usually sits at 95% for a long time, but will complete....you are ready to scan your computer when the SCAN button darkens.

This one is from Panda Software....it is an excellent scanner, too.
    www.pandasoftware.com

You want to click the "Active Scan" logo button.

Most of the online scanners are slow to load....but they do work. Empty Temporary Internet Files and TEMP files using Disk Cleanup, from System Tools.

post any findings before you delete files. The scanner will tell you it either cleaned virus, or could not. Write down, post any that it finds exactly as they are written.

go here and download the Startup List and post the entire results into a reply in this thread. We know it's a long post- that does not matter, post the entire results please.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html

If no viruses are detected....try running Scandisk a few times. Thorough scandisk, make sure it completes....if you have trouble with it stopping and restarting....enter Safe Mode by pressing and holding the CTRL key down at startup....select Safe Mode, it is the same as Normal mode except for lots of drivers etc not running....run Scandisk Thorough from there. See if any "Scandisk is fixing free space" messages come up....
    Then, restart and defrag, make sure this completes. Turn off your screensaver before you scandisk or defrag.

3. gizmolabob

gizmolabob

You might try going to executivesoftware.com and downloading diskeeper lite. It's free and much better than the windows defrag program. I hopes this helps you.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

I too was a little confused about the virus. If you had it, what found it. At any rate I'd follow Byteman's advice on other AV scanners with one exception. You may have your Norton settings to NOT scan boot or other important areas. Make sure your anti-virus software is set to scan; all files, compressed, everything and the boot, etc., then do a complete scan and also make sure you have the absolute latest signature files.

One other thing. I'd also follow Byteman's advice on the thorough scandisk but I'd run it from DOS rather than even in safe mode.

Oh, and I make it a habit whenever I have a problem never to load new software until the problems fixed. So gizmolabob means well but MS defrag and scandisk aren't you're problem so adding another which works on a different principle entirely can do nothing but confuse the issue.

5. missmandy

missmandy Thread Starter

A Big Thank You to all of you for your help ! I found that www.housecall.antivirus.com is very helpful. Although my computer did not have a virus, which was good. But I am glad I have something else to double check against my Norton.

It "looks" like I may have found the problem. Apparently a recent program that was downloaded was not working well with my system. I deleted that program then did everthing that Byteman advised and then removed and reinstalled my Norton, updated, and rescanned my system. Went back and did a Scan disk then degragmented in my Windows. Have gone back within the last couple days and rechecked my Defragmentation status and everything is running fine and back to normal.

To clear the confusion when I stated this message. When I had this problem earlier this year with my defragmentor acting crazy. I didn't know what the problem was. My Norton does not like to do the updates on its own, so I have to do it through Symtec. (I was a few days behind on updates). After I did the update for my Norton and ran the virus scan. That is when I found my computer had a virus. After finally getting rid of it. My defragmentor ran fine after that. The virus my computer had gotten attacked all of my Windows programs.

Thanks again to all !!!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice