Degfragmentizing hard drive messed up computer...help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shellipoo

I ran a thorough scan disc and defragmentized my hard drive as routine maintenence and it totally messed up my computer. This is a list of the problems that popped up imediately afterwards....

~Rundll error (Bxxs5.dll) at startup.....says it cannot find file, I click on okay and windows will startup anyway
~Dial up networking box continuously pops up....click on cancel and it comes right back
~I cannot open Norton AV from the desktop icon
~Norton AV icon in the taskbar does not show up until after I open outlook express or internet explorer
~I have tried running startup trouble shooter in Help and it freezes up
~System seems slower

I have been able to run Norton from the Programs menu and my system is free of viruses. I've also run a program called CWshredder and that doesn't find anything either. I have Windows 98. Any help please?

Rache

Banned
That is a rare thing to happen due to maintanance. Could be some system files have gone. 1st off RUN/ sfc and replace any corrupt system files (note all changed files will show). Or you can reinstall 98+ over itself with no data loss (but will have to redo updates).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online