1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dehumidifier versus damp walls

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by dotty999, Oct 30, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    I've read several threads on the topic of dehumidifiers, I have a large portable which I've used in my porch which can smell musty at times, my question is, can it extract water from brickwork?
    I know one of my kitchen walls is damp, I treated it with a silicone masonry sealant before my new kitchen was installed more than a year ago but I've noticed a musty/damp smell in one of the bottom cupboards recently, the rest of them are fine, I've used the machine on and off for a few days and it has collected an amount of water but I'm not sure if it's from the brickwork or just the environment.

This may be a stupid question but can one extract water from kettles and sinks or does it work in a more specific way?

I'm really quite worried about the smell in the cupboard, I've bleached the surfaces but the smell returns,any advice would be much appreciated:)

2. katonca

katonca

Hi Dot :)

From what I have read on dehumidifiers, they are not selective in where the water is extracted from. They will take it from the environment. Shut windows, empty containers of water, etc. I'd also get the container size moisture absorber and put it in the cabinet and shut the door (check it once a day so it doesn't over flow). I know of people that use course rock salt in burlap, suspended over a small bucket. That will also help remove moisture.

[​IMG]

Hope everything else is going well. Busy around here.....too many probs right now :(

3. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    Thanks Dave,I've never heard of a moisture absorber so I'll check it out in my local DIY store:) I hope all is well with you, seems we both have too much on our plate right now..hopefully it will pass then we can get back to normal, whatever that means!;)

4. katonca

katonca

Normal would be awesome for a while. I always thought I would be able to multi-task with ease....yeah right. :D

5. Knotbored

Knotbored

Moisture condences on the warm side of a cold surface. If the area under cupboard is an exterior cold wall perhaps the wall is uninsulated, or maybe the space just needs to be vented to the kitchen because its is sealed too tightly.
    Note thay the vapor barrior (silicon sealant) should be on the interior surface to prevent interior moisture from entering the insulated space.
    I bought a weather predicter for $28 that shows interior and exterior humidity and temperature, might be handy to evaluate if you humity is suitable.

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In addition to the above - check the external brickwork - may need re-pointing or the damp course has failed.

7. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

If you're smelling must, then you have an overabundance of moisture. Knowing the humidity in your area would be helpful. Air flow can make a difference, so if it is practical to vent the cabinet where the problem is, that should be helpful. Dave's idea makes sense. It is basically a desiccant dehumidifier, like the little packages you find packed with electronics, they absorb moisture.

What the humidifier you have does is lower the humidity in the air, so if you lower the overall humidity, it will have some impact upon the wall, as moisture likes to equalize, but it may not be enough to solve your problem. Getting a device like Dave describes, and placing it near the problem will give you immediate feedback. It will work best in conjunction with your dehumidifier.

Different surfaces, and spaces have different rates of absorption, so using both is probably best.

Hope this helps.

8. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    thank you all for your advice, it's just a small area that smells musty so I'll try Dave's suggestion as I'm sure it will help.:)

9. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    I bought this product today, will try it tomorrow as I've had the dehumidifier on all day and no water was collected, hopefully that's a good sign as a fair amount has been extracted over the past few days..

10. katonca

katonca

Nice, peach scent...:D

Hope it helps (y)

11. eggplant43

Good luck, hope it takes care of your problem.

12. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    it's working! there's already a little water in the container and the scent has removed that musty smell:)

13. eggplant43

14. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice