1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dektop icons get larger on boot up?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stocker340, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stocker340

stocker340 Thread Starter

Hello all!

I have this weird problem with xp home.
    When i turn my computer on the desktop icons get larger then they should be.
    I change the setttings to make them the right size 800X600 res and they stay that way until I restart the comp again and they are large again.

Any Ideas??

Thxs again all

Dale

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    if your resolution is being changed, then you most likely need an up-to-date video drivers. Usually cures the resolution issue.

3. milomorai

milomorai

does the resolution change also? if not, go to desktop properties, appearance, choose icons and change the size. that should keep them the size you want.

gavi

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    MILOMORAI - FYI:

He/She said that they needed to change the settings to 800x600, meaning that the computer is starting at 640x480 resolution, hence it's a graphic card issue. The icon size changer would not be the logical choice.

STOCKER:
    I forgot to mention that make sure that under Monitor in the Device Manager, it says Default Monitor or SVGA 800x600 monitor.

5. milomorai

milomorai

oops, my bad-left my head on my other set of shoulders.

your problem is caused by the fact that windows is using a default monitor rather than the specific one that you have. did your monitor come with any software? if not go to system properties>device manager>monitors and right click on it , choose 'scan for hardware changes'-windows might be able to pick up the brand/model of the monitor.

6. stocker340

stocker340 Thread Starter

I have had xp on it for almost a year then this started?
    Maybe the card still??

Thxs

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice