Delay Accessing Folders?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MCD4x4

Hi All,

I noticed that when I click in and out of folders it takes a few seconds now. Also, on my taskbar I have a folder locked to it next to the clock, when I mouse over that it pops up blank for a few seconds. I never had a problem with this before. I haven't noticed any other slow downs anywhere else. I'm using Windows XP Pro with all the updates. What would cause this? Thanks.

Are you running EFS on your folders? Is your drive compressed?

MCD4x4

Hi,

I don't know what EFS is, I have never compressed the drives, I never heard of doing that. Is this something that is necessary? Thanks for the reply

The delay can also be caused by Anti-virus software. Try disabling it if you have it and see if the access speeds up. Norton is notorious for this.

Any more information regarding "Also, on my taskbar I have a folder locked to it next to the clock, when I mouse over that it pops up blank for a few seconds."

Have you ran several spyware removal programs to make sure that isn't the source of the slowdown.

MCD4x4

I have a few spyware programs running in the background. Spyware Guard, Spyware Doctor, Microsoft Antispyware and AOL Safety and Security Center which uses McAfee. These programs have always been running. The problem started recently.

The folder attached to the taskbar, see picture.

I also run the scans that these programs provide once a week. Spyware Blaster gets updated regularly as well. Spybot, Ad-Aware, Registry Mechanic and CCleaner every night.

I do Trend Micro, Symantac Security Check, Free online Trojan scanner and Bitdefender once a month. Up until now I've never had any problem.

I did notice after using the spell check on this board, after it's done, the window that is left open says "about blank" on it. That I've never seen.

The >> just means that there are programs listed and the folder is not expanded. Click the double arrows to see what is listed below. If you want it off right click on a blank space on the toolbar and select Toolbars and uncheck the My Programs folder.

As for the slow folder access I would disable all of the stuff you have running just to check whether or not they are the culprit.

MCD4x4

OK, I'll give that a try. Also, I think a setting changed somewhere because I used to be able to take a screen shot of whatever is on monitor number one, TV. Now it looks like this to get a better idea of what I mean just follow the link below. In the video the camera is focused on screen 1&2, notice on the screen on the right as I move the pasted print screen, the picture in monitor number one stays live.

http://www.mcd4x4.com/printscreen.htm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online