Delay after bootup...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tcv

Hey folks,

On my laptop, there is about a minute-long delay between the time the desktop and explorer.exe appears and when networking services are available.

Basically, the system boots. I see the desktop, and it sits for about a minute before the hard drive revs up again and I see Norton Internet Security and networking icons appear on the lower-right.

This is XP Home. 256 MB memory.

I presume this is a service taking a long time to start? How can I track this down?

There are no errors in the event viewer.

m

A large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) can cause this problem. This only occurs in W2000 and XP. Windows 98 and ME are not affected.

To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

* Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
* Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
* Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
* Select: Manual, click Apply\Ok and restart.

You could also delete the host file. It's not really needed.

Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

tcv

Erm... I'm kind of surprised you're advocating deleting a HOSTS file as, I'm sure you know, it can be quite a nice stop-gap against spyware.

Either way, I'll check into this. I appreciate the help. Anything else?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online