1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delay in internet access upon powering up laptop computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by artchick46, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. artchick46

artchick46 Thread Starter

I am having a delay of approximately 12-18 minutes from the time I power up my laptop, until the internet connection is achieved and the connection icon appears on my taskbar. This happens when connecting via wireless/broadband, or ethernet cable. During this delay time, if I click on "start," sometimes the "start" button will stay depressed until the internet connection is achieved and displayed. When I started by using "Safe Mode," the internet connection was achieved immediately.
    I have tried unsuccessfully to solve this problem by doing the following:

- Scanned and rescanned for malware, spyware, and viruses with SpyNoMore, McAfee, and Microsoft Security Essentials
    - Restoring to an earlier date--October 30 (well before problem occurred). When I restarted the computer after this "restore," the internet connection was immediate, but when starting up the next day, the delay problem appeared again.
    - Used "MSConf" to disable all non-microsoft start-up services
    - Tried to connect with another wireless router in a different geographic location
    - Reviewed by Add/Remove Programs list, and deleted all unnecessary programs

I am at a loss as to what to do next, other than to restore to factory settings. HELP!!

Here is the system info on my computer...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1022 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 138312 MB, Free - 55531 MB; D: Total - 14287 MB, Free - 1027 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard , 30A6, 56.48, CND62907HT
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Safe Mode? Safe Mode with Networking is supplied because Safe Mode should not load the networking drivers.

I think that there is a small possibility that an incorrect driver--one that is not loaded in Safe Mode--is causing this, so suggest to install the latest from your laptop manufacturer's web site, beginning with the chipset.

More likely is a program or service that runs in normal but not Safe mode. You can use msconfig to try to isolate which one.

3. artchick46

artchick46 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply...I will try the msconfig again...do I begin with the Msconfig "start up" tab first, or do you suggest a different way? I don't know too much about the msconfig, other than what I have researched on the internet!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yeah, the Startup tab.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice