1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

delayed my comuter icon

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tvthegreat, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tvthegreat

tvthegreat Thread Starter

Trying to repair a pc for a friend. Has win98se & removed all spy/adware & 1 virus from the system. All works ok but the MY COMPUTER icon has a long delay before opening or if i open , lets say MY DOCUMENTS folder then the MY COMPUTER folder will then open. I researched it on the web but nothing found. I believe it is a Registry problem, but cant find it. Thanks for any ideas. (y)

2. Katzy

Katzy

My first check would be to check what's loading, at boot. If you hit "Run" and enter "msconfig" and hit the "Startup" tab, you'll see. (Mostly)

3. tvthegreat

All items are ok in msconfig & startup. I looked at hijack this & deleted any bad dll & exe files either through safemode or in regedit. Have lavasofts adware, bazooka scanner, cwdshreeder & norton anti-virus all updated. Also have spybot. They are all updated current.I have checked through a lot of the registry, but I beleive that it is in the registry problem. I think it is some type of timing problem of some type. Is there an amount of time(ie change an amount of time that opens a file from 4ms to lets say 150ms) that you can set in the registry to open a program/file? I have repaired alot of computers over the last 5 years or so, & i normally would just reinstall the os, but i am sick of reinstalling the os on a pc just cause I cant frind the problem. Usually i will stumble across the problem sooner or later, but this one is a tough one. Thanks for the reply.

4. Katzy

Katzy

There is such a program!

Have a search, at Micro$oft's site, for "TweakUI".

5. tvthegreat

I'll give it a try. Will let you know what i find out. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice