1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delayed Write Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Startreker, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Startreker

Startreker Thread Starter

HI there

I just booted my computer up yesterday and suddenly it came up in a bubble "Delayed Write Error"

My computer has a 65Gb Drive and a 400GB SATA drive

I have my computer partitioned:

Both these are ONE hard drive

c: - Operating system 37GB
    d: - MyDocs folder -29Gb

ALL these are one Hard Drive

E: - Data 146GB
    F: - Spare 97.6GB
    G: - Other 128GB

All have over 15GB free

The error comes up on E,F or G.

I can boot up into Safe mode and access the drives fine and do other stuff like back some files up. When i enter desktop normally i get the error and cannot access the drives and the system freezes for about a minute.

i opened the pc and swapped the cables on the motherboard and the same result happens.

Can this be solved buy a reformat as i can access everything in Safe Mode and have problems in normal mode which seems to think that the drive is ok.

Soryy for the long winded post

2. Sponsor

3. Claymore

Claymore

4. Startreker

Thanks for the reply Claymore

I tried those things from changing the connections on the m/board and nothing changed

I am thinking of either getting Partition magic or somthing and deleting the drive and formatting as one to see of that will work or reformatting windows incase there is a sofrware problem.

The cables that i installed the drive were bought with the drive and are correct.

5. Startreker

Hi

Just an update

I ran a tool from Samsung (the make of the drive) called ESTOOL which runs in DOS from a cd. It ran a Random Surface Test and Failed with:

Error : LBA 130764405
    Service Code => AJ24 Bad Sector
    Error : Ecc Error

Then a Read Surface Scan brought up loads of errors in the attached image.I Never let it finish the test as took about 10 mins to go from 16.731% to 16.736%.

so looks like the drive at the moment. I was trying to copy some stuff after the test in Safe Mode but i then got the Failed Write error now.

anyway have unplugged the cables to that drive and things are working fine at the moment but not a lot of space but better than the error.

Attached Files:

6. Claymore

Claymore

Have you tried running a chkdsk against the drive?
    Start => Run and type in "cmd" {without the quotes}
    Then type in:
    chkdsk E: /r

7. Startreker

Claymore

I tried to do that before i unpluugged the drive. After i get the error i cannot access the drive i get an I/O error i think it was.

8. Claymore

Claymore

OK. I guess your only option is to attach or slave it into another computer and recover your "stuff" if you can.
    You could try the chkdsk again, but the Samsung disk errors don't bode well.

p.s. Just noticed you're from "Auld Reekie".
    Cheers

9. Startreker

I think your right about the drive re samsung errors

i don't have another pc to slave this to so can take it into a pc shp near here i work which i did to my last drive. This drive is about just under a year old i think.

Anyway the drive is a SATA drive and if i can replace this i saw a drive which is slightly more than i was going to pay from ebuyer.com:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143288

This is a 1TB which will be well more than i need and is a samsung which is the make of the drive that (i think) failed.

The 2 makes of drive i am thining of is Western Digital and Seagate.

Yea i live in "Auld Reekie" and it is snowing here which we have not had in ages....

Keith

10. Claymore

Claymore

Sounds like a plan. Better safe than sorry.

I'm in the sticks in northern Canada. When I was growing up in that "no mean city" we dreamed of a white Christmas. Here we have nightmares about it. It started snowing in late October - and it's still snowing!

Regards

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797197