1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Delayed Write Failed" after installing video drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cvoptimus, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

I installed a new CRUCIAL Radeon 8500LE video card in my system. All went well until I tried to install the drivers. Everything appeared to go normally until the installation program prompted me to reboot.
    At reboot I got a log on screen I'd never seen before and a series of error messages referring to various files stating:

Windows- Dealyed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file ***
    The data had been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere.

This message will appear about a dozen times with various files and will eventually reboot.

It is no longer possible to boot normally. The only way to get Windows to a usable state now is in SAFE MODE or by choosing
    "Last Known Good Configuration". This brings Windows back to the state where I had uninstalled all video drivers. It finds the Radeon 8500 and assigns its own driver. A reboot from this state brings you back to the strange log on screen and the error messages.

From SAFE MODE or LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION, I have tried:
    - Uninstalling all video drivers ( this will either bring me to a normal boot ONCE ONLY or a blue screen error message ),
    - Reinstalling the software both from the video card's CD and the lastest drivers from ATI
    - Disabling Write caching to the C Drive ( tech support suggestion)

Nothing works. Tech support at CRUCIAL was very nice, but they were utterly clueless.

As a last resort I am considering reintalling Windows and then reinstalling all the updates since then including Service Pack 1, but what if I go through all that and get the same error messages after trying to install the video card software???

I tried searching for posts with similar error messages but found nothing even remotely similar to my situation.

Any ideas out there? The motherboard and Harddrive are new and exhibited no problems prior to trying to install the ATI video drivers.

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there cvoptimus...

Just a question...

Have you updated the chipset drivers from VIA ?

3. pronute

pronute

just a thought when you installed the driver did you disable all apps. running in the background, like anthing that has to do with AOL if you did not then uninstall the setup files for your video card in add and remove programs and any where els AOL spread it out to (yes AOL will do that) reboot disable your dsl modem end task on every thing in task manager except for explorer and systray. install your video drivers, and that should do it.

4. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Yes, the latest chipset drivers from VIA are indeed installed. (not far removed from the drivers that came with the motherboard anyway, since the BIOS is dated Sept. 29, 2002!)

As I said before, when I remove all video drivers I get a normal boot, then Windows will recognize the radeon 8500LE and install its own driver. Once the driver is installed at the next restart, I get the strange log on screen and the "Windows- Delayed Write Failed" messages all over again.
    This happens whether I leave the windows XP drivers or if I install the video card's drivers and software.

I tried uninstalling the drivers and then disabling every program
    (AOL was not running when I originally installed the software) as suggested--- including all virus programs and the ethernet adapter - then I ran the ATI installation software but at reboot the same error.

What could be going on? Something about this video driver causes Windows XP to fail to load. No one at CRUCIAL (the video card's manufactuer) is familiar with this or has any solution.

Anything else I could try???

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Are you by any chance over clocking the CPU ?

6. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Yes, Jedi Master the FSB is set at 140 instead of 133 in the BIOS. But when the issue arose I tried installing with the FSB at 133 with the same result. Should I try again?

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Yes try it @ 133 with the latest drivers...

Also...

How are you installng the drivers, are you pointing it to the .inf or running Setup.exe ?

8. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

I am running setup, but in trying to work it out last night I tried both from safe mode. It didnt help.... :(

I very much appreciate your time and attention. Anyone else have any ideas?

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

IMHO it's a bad card, Crucial isn't known for video cards ( from what I've read this is their first attempt ), what you can try is to see if you can exchange it for another one...

10. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Well, I tried unistalling and reinstalling with the FSB at a minimum-with the same result. No matter how I work it, I get the "delayed write failed" errors at reboot with the video driver installed.
    Can anybody explain what is going one when these error messages appear? Maybe if I had a better understanding of what is happening I might have some more ideas.

CRUCIAL "guarantees" that this video card works with my motherboard. Could they be wrong? If that were the case wouldn't this have come up before?

If this particular video card is bad- would it work at all? When I boot without a video driver and Windows assigns its own driver...everything is lightening fast--- showing the potential of the card. I can even adjust the color depth and all the programs work beautifully and fast... I just can't reboot ( HA HA ) or use any of the video card software or the TV out function etc....

Doesnt that seem to indicate that the conflict is between the drivers and my system? Is it my system in particular? How likely is that? Does anybody out there have a Radeon 8500LE on a AK32A system?

In between boots CHDSK allows finds errors in the file system, if that sheds any light on this.

Could there be old drivers in the system files that are interfering? If so, how would I identify them and get rid of them?

Should I give up and consider getting another video card entirely? If so which one would be as fast and not cost $ 300??

11. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Okay folks, here's the latest: After pouring over tech sites and ATI support articles, I stumbled upon a "reference driver" for Radeon ATI and installs properly and works.

But I'm not sure what to make of my situation: Here I have a brand new video card running on a brand new system with all of the latest AGP, chipset and driver updates but I'm forced to use a video driver that is 1 1/2 years old that ostensibly cannot be updated. The card does seem to work nicely and is fast but should I settle for less than the full functionality of the software?

Could the video card be bad? If the card itself is bad, why does it work with this older driver? Would I get another result with a replacement card? - or is it a conflict with my system? If so, how could I figure this out? Again, according to CRUCIAL's website the Radeon 8500LE should work with my motherboard. And it does, sort of....

So, I'm looking for some feedback and advice. IS ANYONE OUT THERE USING A RADEON 8500LE GRAPHICS CARD ON A SHUTTLE AK32A SYSTEM?

If you were in my position, would you be satisfied that it is working -- or looking for a replacement or another card altogether?

12. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Umm...help! Anybody??? Is there anybody running a ATI 8500LE on a Shuttle AK32A system successfully?

Could this be a bad card or do I need to avoid any Radeon cards in the future??

Although most programs work with the "reference" drivers I have found some bugs- for example AVI files with the Indeo 5 codec are invisible. ...just sound ( yes I've updated every possible codec to fix it...its the video driver!! )

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice