1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delayed Write Failed - Error constantly freezing system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Obinice, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Hey guys, this has been bothering me for weeks and not a single thing I've tried has solved it. It's really a problem now, because I can't just not back my stuff up forever, I have to get this sorted out.

• I have a PC that I keep all my stuff on, run uTorrent on, my media center application, etc. It's got 8 HDDs. Half for storage, half for backup. 5TB overall (well less...but you know).
    • I have an application that runs once a day to sync the drives with their counterparts.
    • Everything was fine, until I got a new motherboard and CPU for the system.

Now.....whenever I run my backups, this message will appear. Either very rapidly, or at some point during. The whole system will slow to a near halt (it can take 30 seconds for the mouse to register movement), and the only course of action is to turn the system off and on again. It's because of this Delayed Write Failed error (it pops up, sometimes immediately....and sometimes if you let the system keep running).

I've looked online for solutions. Some of them say to disable delayed write in the HDD properties. I've done that for most drives (the drives connected to the system via a PCI-E controller card have that tick box option greyed out. Nothing I've tried has made a blind bit of difference.

You guys are, as you often are, my only hope! Thanks in advance :)

2. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Does nobody have even the slightest idea of what could fix this? I can't run any of my backups until it's solved. I can't even back my files up the old fashioned copy and paste way, for the same reason :(

3. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

....Is this some sort of problem that nobody's ever encountered before? I hate to bump the thread twice, but almost a whole week and not a single reply, I'm starting to think nobody has a clue on this one :(

4. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

I thank you for at least reading the thread, it's a shame nobody's had any thoughts :(

I'll Google around for other similar forums (never had to before lol) and post the same thread there, but I'll keep checking back on this one in hope :)

Update: System Details here (html), if they help at all....

5. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Wow, it's been a week and nobody's replied on 'Techsupportforum' either (they are right next to you guys in Google results, so I'm guessing they're pretty good too, though I've never had a problem that I've not been able to solve here!).

I'm starting to think that nobody in the world has any idea what my problem is, or how it can be fixed >_<

I also feel silly for having to bump my thread 4 times, but if it's not been replied to in a week, the chances are that it's not going to get spotted at the bottom of the pile at all :(

6. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Update: Files seem to copy absolutely fine (though I did get some sort of I/O error once and had to restart a copy) when I run the Ultimate Boot CD For Windows. It's just when I have my own copy of Windows running that the problems occur.

One of the things I tried to fix the issue, was reinstall my copy of Windows. So it must be something I've got on there that I've put back on too, that's a problem....But what!

7. 12tipp12

12tipp12

Hi, i have had the same problem several times on different pc,s over the years and have tried everything possible to fix it, there can be several different causes for it but none of the fixes have worked for me, the only thing that has worked for me is to use a disk wiper like killdisk before putting windows back on and then slowly adding my files/apps as i have found that putting everything back on straight away puts the problem back on.

Bill

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

8. 12tipp12

12tipp12

PS. if you don,t sort it out eventually all sorts of copying/saving/writing issues will occur.

Bill

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try replacing the cables.
    Delayed Write failures are caused when the write cache for the drive is not written correctly.
    Usually it is caused by a power failure or faulty cables, but can be down to a disk beginning to fail.

10. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

I guess I'll have to give that a go, I'll wipe the HDD, reinstall Windows, try copying a load of files, and see if I run into problems. I might have to wait till sunday to try it as I'm unusually busy this week (just so you know why it's taking me so long to reply lol).

It's definitely worth a shot, but seeing as I don't get the problem at all when using UBCD4Win, I think it's probably a software problem rather than a hardware problem.

I've told Windows to disable write caching for all the drives (bar two, where the option is greyed out because they are connected via a controller card), but that didn't solve the problem. On the power front, the PSU should be able to handle the 8 HDDs.

Another thing I'm not sure if I mentioned, when I tell power management to turn the HDDs off after 5 minutes of inactivity (which I really need to be able to do, seeing as I have 8, and they eat up power and obviously heat up too) I get the problem when the system is just sat idle with uTorrent running. However when I tell power management to leave the HDDs on all the time, I only get the error when I myself start moving files about.

I hope none of the drives are beginning to fail, I suppose I should download Seagate and Samsung HDD utilities and run some tests. Again, I might not be able to do that until tomorrow or sunday, as I'm unusually busy this week!

And also, thanks for taking the time to help! :)

11. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

UBCD4Win probably has cacheing turned off and probably udma turned off as well.
    Plus it will be using standard windows drivers not the ones for your mobo.
    You might try deleting the drivers and re-installing them. Make sure you get the ones for your new mobo not the old one.

12. srhoades

srhoades

Have you updated the firmware/drivers for that PCI-e card you are connecting all your drives too? You say you got a new motherboard do you have the latest BIOS for that?

13. 12tipp12

12tipp12

PS, have you installed sp3 as one of the pc,s i was having the issue with seemed to be sorted after i installed sp3.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice