1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Delayed Write Failed" on xp home w/ 120gb USB 2.0/firewire hd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jcubed, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jcubed

Jcubed Thread Starter

I recently got a western digital 120gb 72000 8mg cache hd with firewire and usb 2.0. I have win xp home sp1 and I'm using the most currnet drivers for my usb 2.0/firewire ports on my computer. I have done chkdsk on the drive and it comes up all good. I have also tried disabling hte cache.

My I can copy small files from my main hd to this external hd fine but when I write a large file(the size varies but lets say over 100mgs) I get:

"{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file "filename". The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

That is what happens using either firewire or usb 2.0, if i use usb 1.1 I can any size file to or from the drive, I have tried 6gb and it worked great. Also to test I tried to use firewire or usb 2.0 to write large files back to my main hd and it worked great (at like 40 times the speed) of usb 1.1

also I don't think this has to do with my main hd becase the error occurs when I download large files directly to the external using firewire/usb 2.0

In simple terms it looks like my computer throws the data at the external hd very fast and and it keeps up for a while until it can't handle it and the error occurs ( i feel usb 1.1 works because the port is the slow link not the hd write speed). So basically there is a lack of communication with my external hd being able to tell windows to slow down the data rate. I would greatly appreciate any help that could be offered in gettting usb 2.0 or firewire to work, usb 1.1 is just to slow for how much data I move, I will respond to any questions asap, thanks.

2. Jcubed

Jcubed Thread Starter

both my internal and external drives are single partition NTFS if that helps

3. Rockn

Rockn

Please don't cross post! The hard drive can probably keep up just fine and is more than likely not your problem. The problem probably lies in the fact that USB data transfers cannot keep up with what the drive can take in. Maybe your enclosure only supports the USB 1.1 standard?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm going to guess that this is some issue with the USB to IDE controller in the external cabinet. I have two different brands of USB 2.0 cabinets, both with 120gig hard disks in them. I've carried them around to numerous systems using W98, W2K, and WXP without ever seeing any problems. I've run them on USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 connections, copying files as large as 2gigs. FWIW, they're both formatted FAT32, since I need them to function with W98 systems. Once a week I copy a GHOST backup from my second internal drive to one of the USB drives, and it's never failed, it's usually about 1.5gigs in size.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice