1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delayed Write failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrcoons, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

I have been getting on and off for the last few weeks a message saying that WinXP has encountered a "Delayed Write Failure for file C:\Mft"

I'm not a a network so that isn't a problem. I've read and followed the instructions of MS Knowledge Base Arftice #330174 to no avail.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That normally means that a disk device has either been removed or sent back an error when cached writes are waiting to be written. It's most common when you remove a portable drive, say a USB drive or the like, without flushing the cache and properly disconnecting it.

3. Dan O

Dan O

Is the drive on the IDE channel alone and are you using a new EIDE 40-pin 80-conductor cable?

If so you could try lowering the UDMA mode and make sure SMART Monitoring is turned off. Check the drive and PC documentation for how as it is different on many PCs.

4. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

JohnWill: the drive giving me the error is my laptops main drive, not my external firewire drive.

Dan-O: I'll check.

5. JohnWill

If it's the internal drive, it could spell trouble. :) The reason for the message is the same, an error occured that prevented the O/S from flushing cached data. It's easy to understand how that can happen with external drives, but it's bad news when it happens to an internal. :D

One thing to look at is the power options, perhaps the drive is powering down and doesn't restart properly or in time to avoid the error.

6. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

I have noticed that the only time I get this message is when I am using MS Internet Explorer (ver 6.x). If I use the MSN Explorer browser then I don't see the message.

Or is that just a fluke?

7. JohnWill

You got me, it's not a good sign, that's about all I can tell you. :)

8. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

With all the patches MS has been applying to XP and IE it makes me wonder. I am not exactly sure when this message started to appear and if the appearance coincides with the installation of a patch. I was not on the internet much more than an hour yesterday but never got the message once (wasn't using IE) where as the night before in an hour I must have recieved that message 30 times. Curious.

9. JohnWill

I suppose you could try to use system recovery and roll back to before you saw the message...

10. Dan O

Dan O

You may be able to download a hard drive diagnostic utility from the manufacture's web site to test the drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice