Delays in iexplorer... a bug?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Strobic

I've noticed lately in Internet Explorer there are delays (ranges from 10-20 seconds). The delays occur when clicking inside input boxes and also when pressing form buttons such as submit.

For instance when I check my web based e-mail I input my username then when I click (or press tab) on the password input box the page holds for about 20 seconds before allowing me to enter my password. The page then holds again for another 20 seconds when I press OK.

Its very annoying, I even tried updating from iexplorer 5.0 to 5.5 to 6 but still no change.

Anyone know what the problem is? or could it be a bug?

Hi Strobic,Did you try the repair option for IE?Have you emptyed your temp Files?How many programs do you have at startup?Let us know if you tried any of these.

The same thing happens to me. Input forms usually take 20 seconds or so when moving from object to object within the form although occasionally it is fast. Note that this problem occurs whether I'm processing a form on line or offline.

I also just loaded IE 6.0. I did not uninstall IE 5.0, I just loaded IE 6.0 on top of it. I thought if 5.0 needed to be uninstalled 6.0's setup would do so. Also for whatever it's worth I just recovered from a small Magistrar virus infection right before I installed IE 6.0. The problem started right after my machine was infected and the virus recovery did not make a difference. Upgrading to IE 6.0 didn't matter either.

I haven't repaired IE. The help file says that repair will uninstall IE 6.0. However I will try it anyway just in case it'll clean up something in the registry.

If anyone has other ideas as to what might help I'd love to read about them.

Thanks
Ed

Strobic

I also found part of the problem was that I had a virus which I managed to remove. However I still have the delays in iexplorer (version 6 on top of 5) and when opening outlook. I haven't been able to fix it so i'd also appreciate any help.

Hi Bodyworker and Strobic,lets have a look at your startup programs,to see if there are any 3rd party conflicts.Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32 click ok.Click on the + sign next to software environment>click on startup programs>click edit>select all>click edit>copy,then come back here and paste the page.

Strobic

Yup got it:

SideWinder Game Device Profiler Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Game Devices\SideWinder GDP.exe"
WinDelete Shell Extension Startup Group C:\IMSI\WD30\RUNDLG.exe
EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_SRCV03.EXE
'Net Pal Startup Group "C:\Program Files\NetPal\NetPal.exe"
Norton Program Scheduler Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NSCHED32.EXE" /min
run Win.ini LXDBOXCP.EXE
Cydoor Registry (Per-User Run) CD_Load.exe
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
Atikey Registry (Machine Run) Atitask.exe
AtiCwd32 Registry (Machine Run) Aticwd32.exe
AtiQiPcl Registry (Machine Run) AtiQiPcl.exe
GrdSys32 Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\X-Stream3_6\GrdSys32.exe
HP Simple Trax Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\CD-Writer Plus\HP Simple Trax\hpcron.exe
Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\CD-Writer Plus\DirectCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
idriveServer Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\idrive\Filo\idriveproxy.exe
WinampAgent Registry (Machine Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMPa.exe"
POINTER Registry (Machine Run) point32.exe
Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
QuickTime Task Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
EnsoniqMixer Registry (Machine Run) starter.exe
wcmdmgr Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\wt\updater\wcmdmgrl.exe -launch
IntelliType Registry (Machine Run) "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
Openwave Client Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\GENIE\OIM\OIM.EXE -display tray
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe

Strobic,you have a spyware componnet called cydoor.Plus you have way to many programs starting up and running in the background.Go to Start>Run>type in Msconfig >click ok.Click on the startup tab>these are all the programs you have running when you start the computer.Remove the check mark from all the programs except the following,

Scan Registry
System Tray
LoadPowerProfile (2)
Norton antivirus

Remove one or two programs at a time,click apply,then ok.Reboot the computer.Do this until all the programs are unchecked except the ones i mentioned.Remember,for not deleteing these programs,your just stoping them from running at startup,you can still have access to them from Start>programs.

Now for the spyware.After you fiinsh in Msconfig,go to this site and download a program called Ad-aware5.6.This program will scan your computer for spyware components and remove them from your computer.After you download the program,also download the lastest ref-file and unpack it to the ad-aware folder,now run the scan,and delete anything ad-aware finds.

http://www.lavasoftusa.net

You can read about spyware and what it does here

www.cexx.org

let us know how you make out.

I am also having the same problems, I installed 6 ontop of 5, things are sooooo slow, and sometimes when I click I can't tell if anything is happening, I no longer get the hourglass every time, quite frustrating, anyone want to help?

ok, I did what you told the other two to do in case you felt like looking into my problem too! Thanx!

Adobe Gamma Loader.exe Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe"
WinZip Quick Pick Startup Group "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE"
MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
CPQInet Registry (Machine Run) c:\compaq\CPQInet\CpqInet.exe
CountrySelection Registry (Machine Run) pctptt.exe
PTSNOOP Registry (Machine Run) ptsnoop.exe
cpqns Registry (Machine Run) c:\compaq\cpqinet\cpqnpcss.exe
Service Connection Registry (Machine Run) c:\cpqs\bwtools\sccenter.exe
Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
Norton eMail Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\POPROXY.EXE
CompaqPrinTray Registry (Machine Run) PrinTray.exe
CIJ3P2PSERVER Registry (Machine Run) CIJ3P2PS.EXE
LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
isdbdc Registry (Machine Service) c:\compaq\internet\isdbdc.exe
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg

Hi Facedancer,your startup doesnt look to bad,you do have some you dont need however.Go to Start>Run>type in Msconfig click ok.Click on the startup tab>remove the check marks next to all the programs except the following.

scan registry
LoadPowerProfile (2)
System tray
ptsnoop
cij3p2pserver
norton antivirus
country selection

remove one or two programs at a time click apply then ok.Reboot.

Hi beach51, facedancer, and Strobic:

I too did as Beach51 suggested and ran msinfo32 with the following results:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Norton Program Scheduler Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NSCHED32.EXE" /min
Scheduler Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\BACKUP\sched95.exe

Cardfile Startup Group E:\Win31Old\CARDFILE.EXE e:\win31Old\phone2.crd

BHO Cop Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Accessories\Internet Tools\BHOCop\BHOCop.exe" /q

ClipTrak Startup Group D:\BATS\POWER\cliptrak\ClipTrak.exe

Let2ed Startup Group D:\BATS\LET2ED.BAT

Notespad Editor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Notespad\Notespad.exe"

run Win.ini d:\calendar\tikler.exe

ESSOLO Registry (Machine Run) ESSOLO.EXE

Welcome Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\Welcome.exe /R

ConfigSafe Registry (Machine Run) C:\CSAFE\AUTOCHK.EXE

EM_EXEC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\LOGITECH\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE

Iomega Startup Options Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Iomega\Common\ImgStart.exe

Iomega Drive Icons Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe

SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe

BCDetect Registry (Machine Service) c:\windows\SYSTEM\bcdetect.exe defer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing in this list that I found at all curious is why LoadPowerProfile has two almost but not quite identical entries. I believe that everything else is either stuff I put in or that came preset when I got my machine. (IBM Aptiva pIII 500mHz from 9/99).

Facedancer, Strobic, Have you guys gotten your IE to run at normal speed or is it still creeping like mine?

Beach51, do you know if I cn delete one of the 2 LoadPowerProfiles? I've got registry editor plus from PC Mag so if deleting the wrong one doesn't prevent me from running the registry editor again I can put it back easily. I'm just cautious about registry changes. Do you know of anything else that might be causing my problem?

BodyworkeR

Strobic

Thanks beach51, things seem alot faster now that I have trimmed down the startup programs and used the adware remover. However Internet Explorer still has the niggling pauses when I move from text box to text box and a lengthy delay when opening outlook express.

I have also emptied the temp folder and still no change. I was wondering if IE had a link to repairs updates so I can try this?

As a last resort I was thinking about fully uninstalling and reinstalling IE but won't this take out outlook and all of my e-mails? or would I have better luck installing a different browser altogether?

OK Bodyworker,Go to Start>Run> type in msconfig click ok.Click on the startup tab.remove the check marks next to everything except the following.

Scan Registry
System tray
LoadPowerPofile (2) And yes you need 2
Norton Antivirus
BcDetect

Remove one or two at a time,click apply then ok.Reboot.

Ok this is for Bodyworker,Strobic and Facedancer.Go to start Shutdown>restart in Ms-dos>at the c:\prompt type the following,and hit the enter key after each command.

Smartdrv
Deltree/y Tempor~1
Deltree/y History
Deltree/y Temp
Deltree/y cookies

Exit

Type it just like i did and notice the space between the y and the commands.This will delete all your temp files and folders,windows will recreate new ones when you reboot.

As anyone tried to use the repair option for IE.If not go to Start>Settings>Control panel>Add and remove programs>highlight IE and internet tools>click remove>this will bring up the dialog box for IE.Put a tick in repair IE,click Ok.Let me know if you get a clean repair.

Note,if your running windows ME,you will need the floppy disk to get into Ms-Dos.

Strobic

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, just went through the things you said today but still no change i'm afraid :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts