1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

delete cookies on IE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dro21, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dro21

dro21 Thread Starter

I am not sure if I am correct in calling them cookies, but how can I delete the different web addresses that pop up in the IE address bar as you type in different sites? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I think you mean the Autocomplete entries,

Autocomplete: to clear the autocomplete entries:

Open Internet Explorer
    Click Tools and select Internet Options
    Go to the Content tab and click the AutoComplete button
    Click the Clear Forms and/or Clear Passwords buttons
    When IE finishes clearing out your passwords and forms, click OK, and click OK again.

Note well: Have all your passwords written down correctly, as well you user login names at sites that require those...if you clear Cookies, the same thing happens...you will have to login manually at least the first time you use those site. TSG uses a login, for instance, when you clear the cookies you would have to log back in by typing your user name and password....

There are other addresses saved, these are in the dropdown list when you click the arrow at the right end of address bar, might that be what you mean?

3. Deke40

Deke40

The best way to get rid of all the addresses is to delete the ContentIE5 folder and it will recreate itself. The only ones you will have left to show up are the ones in your favorites and the ones on your desktop(shortcuts) and quicklaunch bar.

Here is something I haven't posted in awhile so maybe nobody will holler at me. This works on my W98SE so don't know how far it will go on anything newer but some of the basics still hold true.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did some more research and found this in a November 2000 posting :There are 2 ways that address may remain to be seen by others.
    1) If you hit the drop down arrow, and see a bunch of addresses that you want to get rid of, these can be deleted by clearing the history in Internet Explorer:

Go to "Tools" then "Internet Options" then use the "Clear History" Button or just to clear the dropdown list in the searchbar to to Start/Settings/Taskbar & Start Menu/Start Menu Programs/click Clear.

2) The second way that an old address will come back to haunt you:
    If you start to type, and the address of a site that you have visited before, appears in the address bar(this happens if you have Autocomplet on), then the site is stored in your favorites folder, and needs to be deleted from there.

If you don't want anyone to see where you've been surfing, clear the history, and don't store these pages in your favorites, because even if you give them a different name in favorites, the real url will appear on your address bar when you type the first few letters of it.

END OF QUOTE

I probably did an overkill but I exported my favorites and cookies then deleted both and went into DOS and did a deltree of index.dat, history, and cookies. The only urls that came up when I start typing were two shortcuts I had on my desktop and shortcuts on my taskbar. The only problem is when you put your favorites back,the urls come back. At least you now know how to be rid of the little devils for as long as you can get by without your favorites.

Deke

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

hi, Another little miracle worker I use is called Xen.

This works with a lot of operating systems- very simple to use, many features that I have not tried such as Registry stuff...I just use the CLEANUP feature, and it does clean index.dat, cookies, saved MRUs, what have you.

I would not advise using the the Registry cleaner, or other features ..unless you try these features on a spare computer that is not much good, no important info, etc.

I use Xen's cleanup once a week or so, just to remove all the URL's, Temp and TIF files, etc.

It is a console program, runs from a folder from a batch file, you use the keyboard to type a command letter like 1, or a letter to perform functions. Simply great little program. But> not something you would want laying around if kids use the computer and play around in Windows Explorer's folders.

Don't let the scary looking web page fool you>

http://www.x9000.net/

scroll way down to find the Downloads section, after you read about Xen's many features.

I have not used XenTweak so cannot advise about that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice