1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delete file from library in Media Player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by scottyja, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scottyja

scottyja Thread Starter

I have tried multiple times, but there is a single .mp3 file that shows in my Media Player 10 library that no longer exists (deleted from my hard drive) that will not delete. I have tried deleting my entire library, and it is the only one that remains. I right-click and select delete. When it gives the option to choose from the library only or from my computer is doesn't matter, nothing happens. If I try playing the file I get the error (with the red exclamation point). Going in to the error details and deleting that way doesn't work either.

Additional things I have tried:

Backleveling to Media Player 9 (which doesn't show the rogue file, but has issues with my new mp3 player). I don't see the bad file in the library, but when I upgrade again to WMP 10, it's there.

I've also tried creating a new file w/ the same file name/path and deleting that through Media Player. Hasn't worked either.

Does anyone know of a way to manually go in and remove this from the library? It's not the end of the world but it's driving me crazy! Thanks for all the help!

2. jargonize

jargonize

the library just mirriors what you have elsewhere. i would boot up in save and look for the file.

3. HandleX

HandleX

is the mp3 deleted from the physical path of where it stays?

if so - uninstall WMP, make sure reg keys are gone, reboot, reinstall.

4. scottyja

scottyja Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, the file has been gone for quite a while; I can find no record of it being there. Would booting in safe mode show a file path in a different way than booting in regular mode?

Is there a way to uninstall WMP? All I could find are instructions on rolling back to version 9, but not uninstalling. I was wondering if it had an issue with the reg keys or if there was a properties file that it was reading from.

If I could do a fresh install of WMP, that would be best... know any way to do that? Any place with instructions?

5. Moby

Moby

Delete the library file itself, reboot, windows media player will create a new blank library. Is it there when you do this?
    You will need to show hidden files and folders to see the location of the file.
    The file is located at :-
    C/Documents and Settings/*your user name*/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Media Player/Current Database_59R

6. scottyja

scottyja Thread Starter

Hey, you hit the nail on the head. I removed the 59R database but the file still showed, then just went ahead and removed everything under Media Player and that seemed to work. Thanks for your help! :D

7. Moby

Moby

Should have said if there's anything else in that folder delete that too.
    Good job.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice