1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delete folders in Outlook 365

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tonyacardo, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I have Outlook 365 and I have some empty folders with no email accounts associated with them any longer and I cannot delete them.
    These are not the default folders, these are folders I added for some additional email accounts I had.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Are they true folders or a separate "PST" file for each of the other accounts?

3. tonyacardo

Each one has a PST file. I allowed Outlook to make some automated connections to my email accounts on my website (mostly because my manual tries failed). When Outlook did this it created new folders. So I am left with two sets of folders for the same accounts.

What I have done is:
    Deleted the accounts, the extra folders then deleted themselves.

New Problem:
    How do I setup the email manually. If I do it manually I get the choice of delivering the emails to an existing Outlook data file or create new ones. (I assume the auto connect creates new ones and that is why I had two folders for the same email).
    [email protected]
    [email protected](1)

If I can figure out how to connect AND how to send new mail to the original folders will that leave me with no extra folders to muck up my Outlook interface?

AND

Is there a way to copy all the pst files for backing up or something. My Outlook only allows me to export a pst file for one email account at a time. That is pain in the rear end. Any ideas.

THanks for all this help. I hope my descriptions are adequate. I had to transfer back and forth between Firefox and Outlook just to get the (I hope) right terminology. Anyway, I know it isn't very good, so thanks for working your way through it.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16330 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 439911 MB, Free - 237055 MB; D: Total - 458864 MB, Free - 398043 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 805535 MB; G: Total - 513146 MB, Free - 401366 MB; I: Total - 3815413 MB, Free - 3636335 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Then all you need to do, is close the pst file and then go and find it and delete it from your drive. This should remove it from be accessed again.

As for the setting up a new account and you want the email to go to the existing pst file, just select the " delivering the emails to an existing Outlook data" and a new PST file will not be made.

Locate your pst files and then just copy them to a external device.

Most of the PST files in todays versions are under "C:\Users\'UserName'\Documents\Outlook Files"

5. tonyacardo

Delete the .pst file and the folders will go. Correct. Then I just let Outlook make the connectios for me and the folders and everything will be correct?

Your pretty awesome with Outlook, thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1127660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice