1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delete from Recycle Bin by date?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Juraitwaluzka, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Juraitwaluzka

Juraitwaluzka Thread Starter

Anyone know if there is a way (or a utiltity) to delete from the Recycle Bin by date?

My issue is that when I need to go in there to restore something there are thousands of files, the UI is so slow that it's nearly unusable. In reality if I could say delete everything over 2 weeks old this wouldn't happen. It's not a space issue, I already have it set to 1%, there are just lots and lots of files clogging it up.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Wy would you delete files that you planned to recover? Do you store things in the trash?

4. Juraitwaluzka

Because there are only two ways to delete:

1) Empty recycle bin - I don't want to do this because there may be recent files that I may need to restore. Once I empty the recycle bin I can no longer restore something from an hour ago (this has actually happened to me before).

2) Selectively delete files through the UI. The problem is that once lots of files get in there the UI is very unresponsive. This is the problem I'm trying to fix. One thing that makes the problem worse for me than others is that in my work I generate lots of files and some of the tools I use send files to the recycle bin whether I like it or not, thereby filling it up with files quicker.

If I could delete everything a week or 2 old, I could be fairly certain that the files could be purged without worry (worst case I could go to the backup archives if needed).

Of course not. If I planned to recover it I would not delete it, but you can't be right 100% of the time, hence the need for recycle bin and undelete utilities. I use the recycle bin as I imagine it was intended to be used, as a recovery tool, i.e. as a way to recover something I deleted but later realized that I didn't mean to. Otherwise I would just always shift+del everything and bypass the Recycle Bin completely.

I tried the Recycle Bin Zapper link (and searched for more), as it looks like what I need, but the author's site is no longer around and all the download links seem to point back to his now dead site.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Things deleted from the recycle bin can be easily recovered with a free program like Recover Files 2. It's not the end!

6. Juraitwaluzka

This is true, providing the space where the file existed has not been written to, but there's no guarantee of that.

That won't do anything to address the sluggish Recycle Bin UI, though.

Someone just sent me this link, which looks to be close to what I need (close enough in actuality as the source code is provided so I can modify it to fit my needs).

http://www.cheztabor.com/BinManager/

7. stantley

stantley

I would think a better approach would be to perform daily backups, empty the recycle bin often and if a file is accidentally deleted, restore it from backup.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Protected recycle bins, like Norton's, offer another layer of recovery. But those can get out of hand and you discover that your hard drive is full from "saved" trash.

I guess I just don't throw anything away until I really want to get rid of it. I turned off the "confirmation" because I don't like being asked yet again if I really want to throw something away.

But there have been one or two mistakes. In those cases, I just went to the previous day's Acronis image and got the file there.

9. Juraitwaluzka

I do daily backups but that's not always enough. Sometimes the file I restore from the trash is something created and deleted in the same day and therefore won't be in a backup. Recycle bin works great for that.

10. vicks

vicks

One way to 'solve' this challenge, is to make a folder for each day to put the stuff into, when you no longer need it just delete the whole folder. If you name the folder- mm,dd,yy deleted it would be easy to find.
    vicks

11. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

i use 'classic' view, so when i open my recycle bin:
    click view menu > choose arrange icons
    by name
    by origin
    by delete date
    by type
    by size
    auto arrange

what else is needed?

12. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Posted via Mobile Device
    yeah I don't see the problem doing this. you could have a thousand files in the recycle bin and it should by date instantly.

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

14. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

okay, then after i've sorted them according to my preference, i just left click bottom-right of the file i want to start with and drag the little dotted box upwards encompassing however / whatever of what i want to delete if not all then go the file menu and choose delete, or right click and choose delete,
    kiss =keep it simple.........

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/815567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice