1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delete IMAP in Outlook

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wsmyth, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wsmyth

wsmyth Thread Starter

Many apologies if this has already been discussed. I just switched my account from POP to IMAP because I want to view new email on both my phone and Outlook 2007 on my computer.

When I delete a IMAP message in Outlook, I would like the message moved to the Trash folder, then deleted from the Inbox (not just marked for deletion). You may ask, why not just use POP. First, I do not want to leave the messages on the server when using POP. If I use POP, then the phone will not see the message it it is downloaded to Outlook first.

I am guessing that a possible solution is to use IMAP on the phone, and POP in Outlook. What do you think?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi wsmyth

If you use that configuration - IMAP on your phone and POP for Outlook 2007, make sure you configure Outlook 2007 to Leave a copy of the messages on the server. Otherwise, Outlook 2007 will delete the messages from the server when you download messages into Outlook 2007.

Tools > Account Settings > E-mail tab
    Double click the e-mail account to Change or select the e-mail account and click the Change button.
    More Settings button > Advanced tab
    Place a check mark in: Leave a copy of messages on the server
    OK > Next > Finish > Close to save and close.

That configuration should work, set it up and send yourself a few Test messages to test it.

3. wsmyth

wsmyth Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

What you spoke of is essentially what I want. When I download the message to Outlook 2007 POP account, I no longer want to view it on the phone. I will have the permanent copy on the computer. Once there, I have no need to view the email on the phone.

The phone email viewing would be in-between times when I am away from my computer. I could view and respond to an important email. But then, when I return to my computer, I want to downloaded it, deleting it from the server.

So, this is what has led me to think I could try IMAP on the phone and POP on the computer. Are there any other considerations for this setup? Do you think it will work?

Might I even try POP on both the phone and the computer? In this case, I would leave the message on the server when downloading to phone, and deleting when I download to computer.

I would vote against this last option, because that would download a bunch of email to my phone that I would not need.

All of this brings up another question, which does not have to do with my specific problem, but more general. Why does IMAP exist? Why not just use POP and leave the message on the server. Doesn't this basically do the same thing? Thanks for your help.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

IMAP accounts mirror the server, messages are not downloaded to your hard drive, you are viewing your messages on the server. Though, that does not preclude you from copying a message to your hard drive.
    Whatever method you use to access your e-mail account, Outlook or phone, you should typically see the same view you left earlier.
    Using IMAP, all IMAP folders should be the same in Outlook and the phone.

Using POP, you can view messages offline but you lose the synchronizing that occurs when using IMAP.

http://email.cityu.edu.hk/faq/popimap.htm

If you prefer to delete the messages off the server when you download them into Outlook 2007, using POP, you would leave the option for: Leave a copy of messages on the server, unticked. That is the default setting, anyway.

I say try all the options and see which one works best for you. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice