1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delete leftover names in Add/Remove

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by symyee, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. symyee

symyee Thread Starter

Hi ... I have uninstalled a software program through Add/Remove. The program did uninstall, HOWEVER, the name of the software remained in the Add/Remove list and is blank. I tried reinstalling the program and then uninstalling it again hoping it would fix the problem but it never. Now there are two name the same left in Add/Remove. The software was for a Canon camera & I have Windows XP. Hoping someone can help. Thanks

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

To remove the invalid/orphaned entries from the Add/Remove applet manually [Windows 2000/XP]

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    2. Locate the following key in the registry:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    4. Make sure you backup the keys by exporting them to a .reg file.
    5. Look for the name of the program with the orphaned entry.
    6. Delete the entire listing for the software with the orphaned entry.
    7. Close the registry editor.
    8. Restart your computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/709198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice