1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delete Mass Amounts of files?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cnelson04, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

hey guys, i was wondering if there was a program i could use to delete mass amounts of files, almost every expect system files and some other programs, with out formating, becuase formating just takes time and i don't have the time to re-install programs and such. if there any software i could use? thx. -cnelson. ;)

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Try Eraser 5·7 which is just about as good as formatting.

3. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

ok, thankz i'll look into it. it won't mess up my computer or anything right?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

I guess you know you will almost certainly lose the registry . . which means you will have to reinstall all programs?

You are going to end up spending a lot more time than if you formated and reinstalled everything.

wrs

5. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

i'm going to format, over the weekend, after i put some back ups on CD's i'll call deel and have em walk me through it. thx. -cnelson. :)

6. nickg

nickg

last Friday I updated my BIOS via a Flash Download. i wanted to make sure the BIOS was up to date, especially as i was getting the "ACPI" crap problems when i was upgrading from ME to XP and it popped up again when i was setting up Ghost 9.0.

i had trouble at first trying to figure why i couldn't get the bootdisk to work properly so i called tech support, PLUS figured out a few things on my own.

i got EXTREMELY frightened when i tried to Flash it at first because i was getting an error message!! :eek: :eek: then i tried to go back to the previous BIOS setup but wouldn't let me (though it said it would/could do it). so now i'm thinking "Boy am I Screwed!!" :eek: :eek:

so i tried to Flash it again and everything loaded and setup with NO problem. i must have said "Thank God" 20 times after it worked!!! :D

7. Emtronics

Emtronics

Ahhh a first flash. Wonderful memories. :) Do the format and since this is a Dell (?) ("deel") the recovery process is simple and straight forward. Removing "tons" of unwanted files may cause more problems than ever. Good choice, format. :D

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Nicely done. I am still wondering if this computer, which has a Micro Star Inc mainboard and a Packard-Bell NEC BIOS would benefit from being updated with an MSI Award BIOS now that it no longer has a Packard-Bell tattooed drive.

Just downloaded the Mainboard Manual from MSI and found that I could fit 3 x 512Mb of unbuffered PC100 or PC133 SDRAM in it and that it has "Table Free" memory slots which means that, if you ony have one module, it doesn't matter which slot you put it in.

I wonder if I can upgrade from USB1 to USB2?

Learning all the time, or trying to.

Having the Mainboard manual is proving to be most instructive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!