1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

delete printer ports no longer used

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ksc, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksc

ksc Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, if not, please advise the correct one so that I can get help! Thanks!

DH's Dell Inspiron 8600 w/Windows XP Home, SP2. Nod32, Sygate personal firewall, microsoft antispyware, blah blah blah:rolleyes:

He travels w/this laptop a pretty good bit and for SOME STRANGE reason picked up network printers when he would be at a hotel or business where he logged on the net. Yes, I know the risks here and try to run regular scans to kill infections - which there have been none SO FAR.

Over the past few weeks, He INTENTIONALLY installed a couple of new printers for good reason. One of them was an HP that had a bunch of bloatware for scanning and crap the he didn't need/use. It took a couple of hours to uninstall this garbage and get his system cleared of it. This got a good "spring cleaning" going on the system.

Deleted ALL printers and was preparing to install only the ones he uses.

1st printer is here at home. It is an HP PSC on a Linksys print server, via Linksys wireless router. I incorrectly assumed that I would have to create the IP port again. Error message said that IP port was already in use. Well, lo and behold :eek: , ALL THOSE DELETED PRINTERS' PORTS ARE STILL THERE.

I would prefer that they all go away and install only the printers he uses on a regular basis.

printer #1 is the HP PSC here at home

printer #2 is at his office and is similarly an IP port printer. Linksys wireless router, Linksys wireless print server.

#3 one will be a local printer via usb port.

How do I remove the ports for all those other printers I've deleted? I would gladly use the existing ports for these 3 printers we want installed. I do not want to keep any of those other ports available as he will continue to be at some of those locations and dont want them reinstalling.

btw, file an print sharing is disabled in windows firewall.

if it matters, my skills are average (maybe above-average), self-taught. registry editing intimidates me, so I've never done it through registry editor.

thanks for your help.
    ksc

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

Why do you really need to delete these. They are merely settings for the printer and look at it this way, the ports are already set up if you want to use those printers again.;) But they really are not using recources so there is no need to delete them. But if you do, you would highlight the port in the port selection screen by going to control panel-printers and whatever it says- right-click the printer- then highlight the port you want in the ports tab and click delete port.
    -new tech guy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice