1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delete Temporary Internet Files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mosaic1, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Thread Starter

This subject has been discussed many times. Emptying the Temporary Internet Files using IE doesn't remove the Content.IE5 Folder and its subfolders, and indext.dat. Same for cookies and History too.

I usually deltree the Temporary Internet Folder in DOS. However, I have found a new way. In XP, I set up another USER Identity. I then log on as this other identity. I can delete any folder I like in my other Profile Folder so long as I am not signed in as that particular User. It's easy to just delete the whole temp int folder that way. Or remove the index.dat from the cookies folder.

Does this work in WinME? I know a lot of people don't like to use the bootdisk and the command prompt. Would someone please try this and let me know if it works?

Thanks in Advance,

Mo

2. Deke40

Deke40

Hi MO. Long time no see. Are they still calling it the Content IE5 folder even in XP. I had upgraded to IE6 and was wondering why it didn't change.

I'm still deleting the whole Content IE5 folder instead of going to DOS. Both ways take the TIF folder down to about 32K.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Mo:
    I think that I've seen this posted before, as a way to get around deleting at the DOS level in Win9x.

BUT, the real easy way, if you have the ram installed (which many people have these days), is to set up a ramdrive, and point the temp files there. Then when you shutdown, everything hits the infamous bit bucket! :)

4. Deke40

Deke40

WP-I now know where the Whit comes from.

5. WhitPhil

Hey, you got it Deke.

When I joined VirtualDr, over 3 years ago I had to choose a name. I thought about WhitbyPhil and settled on WhitPhil!

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

7. Balzac

Balzac Guest

8. WhitPhil

Dave:
    This site explains how to set one up.

Mine is a 10MB ramdrive and instead of using all the REG changes, I just moved the \TIF folder to the new drive from IE > Internet Options.
    AND, did not move the cookies and history.

BUT, note that this particular method does NOT work on an Me system!!

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

Thanks Phil! Bookmarked same and will try when I have a machine to test on. I believe the inability to use on WinME is due to the way WinME doesn't use the autoexec.bat file. If I was daring I would hack the autoexec.bat part of Winme's registry to reflect this procedure and watch what it does with it. :)
    Maybe next weekend for a test to see the results.

Dave

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice