1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Delete this file?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Red Boy, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

I have a shortcut, to my desk top, of my Temp. Int. Files. I delete these Temp. Int. Files every night. It's convenient. However, yesterday I installed IE 6. I had IE5. Anyway, when I went to delete my Temp. Int. Files last night, the only file in the folder was one labeled IE5. So I decided to delete same, since IE6 was operating fine. When attempting to delete, I received the message that this was a system file, and if I delete Windows or another program may no longer work correctly. This, of course, gave me pause. My question: Should I respect this message and just leave IE 5 in this folder on my desk top, or can I ignore this warning and delete without fear. I did create another Temp Int. File which I have placed on my desk top with the accumulated Temp. Int. Files.

May I have this forums thoughts concerning deleting this IE5 file, which, by the way, I have no idea how it found its way on my desk top inside of the Temp. Int. File.

Thanks,
    Red Boy:confused:

2. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi Red Boy:

What's the file's extension?

If it is .tmp, then you can safely eliminate it from the folder as no system file ends in .tmp.

:)

3. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, Jody. However, I cannot identify the file extension. The file just shows: Content IE5. When opening there are five other files contained therein. These are labeled: 4FMPOLCX, 8RABUVEF, K9CBAVWL, SHUJ89MZ and index dat. I underscore that this "miraculously" appeared in the Temp. Int. Folder that I had shortcutted to my Desk Top.

Red Boy

4. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

What you're seeing is the temporary internet file structure from IE5. It is safe to delete these files.
    They are, as you say, system files, but if they are still needed they will be created again when you reboot.

5. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

Thanks, Brushmaster. I really appreciate your response. I thought this was probably the case. But good to have someone with your credentials to confirm.

Red Boy:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice