1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted apps and icons

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Britfellow, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Britfellow

Britfellow Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3034 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
    Hard Drives: C: 283 GB (188 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0N7J7M
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Yesterday I ran the "Recovery and reset " programme on my laptop, after the programme ran and Windows was re-installed a list of apps had been removed, all of the desk top icons have been altered .... the web site name still remains, but the icons are all now what I presume are in default mode. The Dell Dock is missing and clicking on the icon I get a notification that the path does not exist ?. I think that I have really goofed this time !, is there a way to restore the apps and icons ?.
    Thank you

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Sorry, you would need to get the setup programs and install all the apps again. Thats what Win 10 reset does, it meant for those times that Windows is really messed up and needs to start over from scratch.

3. Britfellow

Thank you for your reply lunar lander, I have a disc that came with the laptop from Dell, it is titled " Drivers and utilities" .... would I be ok to run that disc ?, the laptop was originally set up with Windows 7, a couple of years ago I upgraded to Windows 10. I'm assuming that running the disc will re-install Windows 7 ?.
    I have re installed some of the "lost" apps,e.g. Google, Picasa , Garmin. In the list of removed apps ... A to W, are apps like Dell Data Safe Online, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition .... how would I find set up programs for those kinds of apps ?.
    Thank you so much for your reply and advice.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

The Dell program might still be available from their website. Dell machines have some sort of model and id number available on a sticker on the machine. Use those numbers to navigate the Dell support or download site.

I suspect the MS SQL Sever was part of some other program. Install those CD's and probably it will come back.

5. Britfellow

Thank you for your help, I located the model and id #'s and will attempt to find the missing programmes and reinstall.
    Thanks again... much appreciated.

6. Britfellow

Would running a "system restore " help in any way ?
    Thanks.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't know if System Restore will help after a reset. See what dates it gives you. Mind you. If it does give a date that is before your reset, if you use that, you'd bring back your previous problems.

8. ghorbanpour

ghorbanpour

The best method is that you using system restore.
    It can help you to find your deleted app and icons.....

9. Britfellow

Thank you for the replies, I may run the system restore at a point previous to the " recovery / reset " programme and see what that does.
    Thank you again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice