1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Deleted Caps Lock Key

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by panamahat, May 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16250 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (46 GB Free); D: 931 GB (349 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc.,
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Hi Everyone:

I used a utility called Sharp Keys to remap several keys sometime ago. One of the keys was Caps Lock, which seems, in the process, to have been deleted. I show it as reassigned to NumLock; however, when I hit that key nothing happens. Neither key locks caps. Worse, when I go to the list of keys, the designation that shows on the remapping doesn't show on the comprehensive list. It looks as though I somehow deleted the key entirely. :oops:

Is there any way to restore the caps lock function?

Many thanks for your help!
    Jane

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    The easiest, to me, would be to remove the utility. It's a pretty good guess that that would reset it to the "normal" operation.

Alternatively, you could try to reconfigure/reset the keyboard functions

plodr likes this.
  3. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi Firefly:

Thanks for such a quick response. I googled resetting the keyboard functions and that sounds pretty straightforward. The problem I have with this is that the other keys I've remapped are great and crucial to my work. Not sure quite what to do about resetting them. Is there another keymapping program that you would recommend? I don't think I have the need to remap the Caps Lock key any more as evidently Win 10 has a utility for that.

Thanks again for your help,
    Jane

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Sorry Jane.

I have no knowledge about keyboard mappers.

5. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Thanks, FF, that's okay. I appreciate your help.:)
    Jane

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try Method 2 here :- https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/enable-or-disable-caps-lock-key-in-windows-10/
    (Don't try Method 1, I think that would remove you're other key mappings.)

Hopefully you will be able to enable Caps Lock with the KeyTweak program, the download link in the above guide doesn't work any more but you can get it here :- https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/keytweak/

Select key 30 in the program and if you get an Enable key button click on it. Then reboot the computer and see if Caps Lock works.

7. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi Allan:

Thanks so much. It worked perfectly and no other remapped keys were affected. Will make my day a whole lot easier.

Thanks again,
    Jane

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome Jane. :)

(Please click on the [Mark Solved] button at the top of your page if you're sure it's fixed)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice