1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted data?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Ilovepie11, Aug 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ilovepie11

Ilovepie11 Thread Starter

I'm not sure I'm in the right place for this but I guess there is no harm is asking. I'm currently in a custody battle with my ex and there are some messages supposededly sent and deleted on FB messenger over a year ago I guess? Anyway now our devices are undergoing a forensic investigation. I guess they are copying the data off our phones and computers and going off that. My question is how does that work and can they get those supposed messages from the computer or phone when they were "sent and deleted" over a year ago?

2. aashimagupta

aashimagupta

Nowadays special software is available that can help retrieve all the deleted data from your computer, laptop, the smartphone also from your call details etc. The data you delete is still saved in the encrypted format. This software decrypts the deleted data.

addysmith97 likes this.
  3. Lanctus

Lanctus

FB likely keeps logs of everything that goes through its servers, so there is that. "If it's put on the Internet, expect it to be there forever." Aside from that, physically completely destroying the data storage device (fire, degaussing, trash compactor) is really the only way to be 100% sure the data is gone. Once it goes to the net though, all bets are off.

4. Volstein

Volstein

Facebook stores all the information about you, but they will not let you to have an access to it. It's some kind of confidential. So if you deleted something there's no way to turn it back.

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    With businesses like this:

https://www.securedatarecovery.com/services/forensics

The possibility exists.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice