1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted E-mails coming back into my inbox

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by SpriteBoy, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpriteBoy

SpriteBoy Thread Starter

I have windows xp,wireless laptop, keyboard and mouse computer is 3 years old

Twice in the last 3 months, when I am reading new e-mails, a bunch of previously deleted e-mails (ones deleted in the last 2 - 3 months) start coming back in like crazy in bold print like brand new e-mails. Yesterday, I had over 500 old e-mails come in.:confused:

Its only happened twice, but I have no idea what is causing it. I hope you can help me.

Thanks!!

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

What E-mail client are you using, Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. ?

3. SpriteBoy

SpriteBoy Thread Starter

Outlook Express

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

It sounds like 2 problems.

#1: OE is set to leave messages on the server.

Log on at your ISP's site, go to your mailbox there and delete any messages you don't want.

If you don't want to leave copies on the server,
    Open OE.
    Click Tools>Accounts.
    Click the Mail tab on the Account box.
    Highlight the mail account and click the Properties button on the right side of the Account box.
    Click the Advanced tab of the Properties box.
    In the Delivery section, uncheck "Leave a copy of messages on server".
    Click Apply then OK.
    If you want to leave copies, in the Delivery section, set the length of time you want to leave them before clicking OK.

#2: The Pop3uidl.dbx file is starting to corrupt.

This file keeps track of and controls what gets downloaded to OE from the server.
    Simple fix is to find it and delete it. To do that you need to get into the OE Message Store folder.

You need to have Hidden files and Folders showing.
    At the top of any folder(My Documents, My Pictures, etc for example) click Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
    Or go to Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab.
    Scroll down the list and place a check next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then click Apply and OK.

Open OE.
    Click on Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder.
    On the Store Location box, highlight the address by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
    Press Control+C (both at the same time) to copy the address to the clipboard.
    Click Cancel on all boxes and close OE.

Click on Start>Run.
    Press Control+V (both at the same time) to paste the address into the command line and click OK.
    The Store Folder containing all the DBX files should open.

In the Store folder, Delete the Pop3uidl.dbx file. When OE is next opened, a new one will be created.

Be aware that any messages you left on the server will download again. It should only happen once and be fine after that.
    This is why it's a good idea to clear the server of messages first.
    I see you're a beginner so let me know if you need any of that clarified further.
    Welcome to TSG.
    T.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!