1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted emails from Outlook

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kbrewer, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbrewer

kbrewer Thread Starter

I use Cox Internet and the Microsoft 2007 Office Suite (and, unfortunately my OS is Vista). With Cox (and I suppose with Office), my emails are stored on my hard drive vs cyberspace (like Hotmail and the like). So even if I delete an email, it's still on my hard drive. I'd like to clean out my hard drive some and one of the things I want to do is to deleted my deleted emails that are lurking on my hard drive somewhere. I know emails are .pst. I've tried searching *.pst, but get nothing. Ideas?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

When you delete an email in Outlook, it's moved to the Deleted Items folder. When you delete it from there it's still in the *.pst file, but would likely take 3rd party tools to recover. To make sure it's unrecoverable, you need to compact the Data file.

Click File | Data File Management
    This will list all the different Data files you've setup, including their location.
    Highlight any one, then click Settings, then click Compact Now.
    Or right click Personal Folders, click Properties, the click the Advanced button, that will get you to the same place.

3. kbrewer

kbrewer Thread Starter

I compact my emails. Mostly I'm just trying to clean my hard drive of useless stuff I'll never need again. these deleted emails that have built up over the 6-7 years I've used various versions of Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail and other hard-drive based email programs are still sitting on my computer and I just want to purge them. I'm not concerned about recovering them. I want them gone altogether to free up hard drive space.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

So you are saying when you delete an email, it does not get moved to deleted items, but stays in your inbox? You are still able to open and read all emails you have deleted?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!