1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

deleted files/folders not showing in Recycle Bin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TrudyMcD, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TrudyMcD

TrudyMcD Thread Starter

I use Windows XP. There is not a lot in the Recycle Bin - some goes back to last year. Some recent deletes are there. I deleted a large number of music files (mp3) and folders and only 3 of these files are in the recycle bin. The Recycle Bin settings are global and do not allow for auto delete. The disk space available is large.

History: My computer had been in storage for 16 mos and I have recently been updating everything. Prior to putting it in storage I had to have it professionally restored - they suspected it was a virus. The hardware was affected and as I continued to have odd things happen I added a portable hard drive and changed settings so that My Documents and all subfolders operated from this drive. That is the only drive on which I can find the recycle bin. On the C drive I found something called Recycler.

I am good at emptying my recycle bin, but in the process of doing updates and going through old files and programs I have intentionally not emptied it as I anticipated the chance for mistakes would be greater. I was right, unfortunately, little of what I have deleted is in the bin. Don't know why old stuff is there and so little of recently deleted files/folders can be found.

Thanks,
    Trudy:confused:

2. TheServerGuy

TheServerGuy

can you tell me some info, right click on your recycle bin, then click properties, then on global have you got "use one setting for all drives" clicked?

3. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

4. TheServerGuy

TheServerGuy

even better :)

5. TrudyMcD

TrudyMcD Thread Starter

Don't know how to quote both replies. Yes, I do have "use one setting for all drives". Used the link and tried both approaches via cmd and got error message saying it could not be located on C:\. It is on F:\, which is not virtual but don't know how to access it via cmd. Seems to me this is saying the problem is that it is on the wrong drive. Don't remember how I moved it - how do I get it back to C?

Thanks to you both.
    Trudy

6. TrudyMcD

TrudyMcD Thread Starter

Used the link and tried both approaches via cmd and got error message saying it could not be located on C:\.

It is on F:\, which is not virtual but don't know how to access it via cmd. Seems to me this is saying the problem is that it is on the wrong drive. Don't remember how I moved it - how do I get it back to C?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!