Solved Deleted Files Not Showing In Recycle Bin

LizaToo

I am sorting through old files on our PC, but I'm doing so from my laptop, through our WiFi. These files were all resident on the desktop D: drive (C: is Windows/dynamic drive, with two supplemental hard drives - D: and E: ) Despite the fact that I have deleted dozens of folders, there are no files in the Desktop Recycle Bin. Where did they go? Do files deleted in this way bypass the Recycle Bin?

Both computers are running Windows 10.

TerryNet

Terry
Is there a Recycle bin for the D: drive? If so, are you looking in that one (not the one for C: whose icon is by default on the desktop screen)?

When you "deleted" the files did you send them to the recycle bin or actually delete them?

Couriant

James
I suspect that they are gone if you are deleting over the network, rather than at the physical location of the machine. How did you connect to the machine? Via Remote Control, File Explorer?

LizaToo

> did you send them to the recycle bin or actually delete them?

I "deleted" them, which is the way it is done on both computers and the deleted items end up in the Recycle Bin (just tested on both computers to be sure). That being said, the files are definitely gone, but I'm trying to understand how and where. There is a Recycle.Bin on the desktop D: drive, which contains a sub-folder Recycle Bin, which contains only items deleted at the desktop (not on WiFi) and another folder which is inaccessible and which has a size of zero in the Properties window.

> How did you connect to the machine
I connect to other computers via File Explorer.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As James indicated, if you had deleted the files while at the computer, logged on locally, they'd go to the Recycle Bin. If you delete files over the network, they are permanently gone. It will even warn you, but you have to pay attention. See below, I'm attempting to delete a file on a network drive:

1634684974273.png

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Capture.JPG

Do you have a checkmark in the box at the bottom of the Recycle Bin properties window?
If you don't, whatever you send to the Recycle Bin will automatically be deleted.

---------------------------------------------------

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Close, but no cigar, Frank. All that does is not prompt you with "Are you sure you want to delete xxx". It's the radio button directly above that box that will do as appears to be happening. But, it is being done over a network, so this does not apply anyway.

LizaToo

Gr3iz is right. I missed the "permanently". Solved. Thanks everyone. So helpful as always.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online