1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted files recovery?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by X Zero, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. X Zero

X Zero Thread Starter

Is it possible for me to recover a deleted file? I deleted a file that i really need and now m stuck.I used the system restore but that didnt help,and i didnt have a backup?I use winXp..if anybody knows anything on how to please share.Thank u in advance

2. Del

Del

Did you check to see if it's in the Recycle Bin?
    Double click it and see if you see the file.
    If you do, right click on it and click restore, it will put it back where it was.

3. mal1930

mal1930

HI, What sort of file are we talking about. A restore does little more than bring the system back. There is software that can try to find a deleted file especially if it is not overwritten. I don't know whether there are any free ones though.

If it is a all they can be found on the web or you can reinstall the program that needs it.

If it is a system file than you can a os repair with the setup CD.

Peace Mal

4. Del

Del

Mal, didn't say system restore.
    If they deleted a file and it went into the recycle bin and it's still there, they can right click on it and it will restore back to it's original location.

5. mal1930

mal1930

HI Sorry Del. "It said I used system restore but that did not help".

It was the 3 rd. sentence in the post that is why I wanted to know what file it was. Peace Mal

6. X Zero

X Zero Thread Starter

HI it was a game file ,just one but now my game doesnt work,and i dont have a cd for it.And no its not in the recycling bin..i looked.I just heard that pple sometimes recover their erased files somehow...I dunno how.Thanks for the suggestions though

7. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

First of all, stop using that computer or hard drive. If the file is recoverable now, you want to stop all activity to make sure something doesn't overwrite it.

If your file system is FAT32, you can boot to a DOS floppy that has the program undelete.exe.

If you have an NTFS file system, you will need third party software like Norton Utilities or this: http://www.uneraser.com/

8. kramnnim

kramnnim

You might be able to find someone with the same game to send you a copy of the file...depends on the rarity of the game, I guess.

9. km698

km698

I just deleted a file that contained music. I went into system restore and tried restoring the system. The restore system wouldn't let me pick a date, and froze right there. I reid to re-boot and now all I get is a DOS screen asking me the method I want to used to re-boot ie:Safemode, Normal or in DOS. Once I pick the sysem restarts and I get the same message. I can't get on and I still despartetly need to retrieve the file. ANy suggestions?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!