1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

deleted files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sandy354, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandy354

sandy354 Thread Starter

Hi!
    I emptyed my recycle bin and lost files I
    should have kept. Is there a way to retrieve them?
    I use windows 98se.
    thanks for any help you might be able to offer;

R

2. gmacneil

gmacneil

once you delete files from the hard drive they are gone for good

sorry.

3. Corrosive

Corrosive

Actually, it isn't the end of the world!

As long as you havn't written too much to the hard-disk since then, the files ARE recoverable. When you empty the recycle bin, it simply marks the file saying that it can be overwritten later. This is how many criminals are caught; they think they've deleted the files, but in actual fact they can very easily be recovered using the appropriate software...

Which, alas, I don't know the names of. I think Norton Utilities has a feature for this...

4. ohheck

ohheck

norton utilities can get them back- but install it as soon as possible- the more you use your pc the greater the chance the files will be over written-------

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the data is that valuable, it may be possible to recover some or all of it. Here is a link to a program that recovers deleted files. I believe the free trial just shows what could be recovered it will not do the actual recovery; for that you need to pay the company that wrote the software. Programs like this are not cheap. They can run into the hundreds of dollars.
    http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecovery/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice