1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toyman, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

I have windows XP and was having issues with my extended partition. it kept becoming corrupt so I kept formating it and to no avail it kept becoming corryupt. so on the last format i deleted it thinking i could reinstall it and now it's gone. It is 58 GB of a 200 GB drive but it doesn't show any more not even when i booted up to my windows CD. where did it go and how can i reloacte it and start using it again?

thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to recreate the partition. Go to disk management; start>run and type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. You should have unallocated space on the drive now. Right click and create partition. Right click it again and choose to format.

BTW I would find out WHY you are having problems.
    Is the machine overclocked?
    Have you run the diagnostic on the drive from the maker?

3. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply. i went to disc management but it doesn't show the unallocated space. it is weird. I have loaded windows 5 times on the computer and it has always been there. I thought i was just deleting the partition but i must have deleted something that won't let it show anymore.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What does Disk Management show? Can you post a screen shot?

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I've got a feeling there may be an issue with logical drives under XP

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's no issue that I'm aware of using logical drives in extended partitions with any version of Windows. I have extended partitions on almost every machine here with one or more logical drives, never been an issue.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use three partitions of a 240 gig raid array; no problems in either win2k sp4 or xp sp2.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/514318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice