1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted important software

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by denali57, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. denali57

denali57 Thread Starter

My girlfriend had downloaded a virus and I was in the process of getting rid of it and when I wasn't home she went in and didn't realize I was working on it and tried to find what she downloaded and get rid of it, so she started deleting files she thought might be the problem and ended up deleting files needed for windows xp. After she did this we can no longer install any kind of software. Every time I turn the laptop on a message comes up saying it is preparing to install(but it doesn't say what) and then an error message pops up saying it can't install. I have to hit cancel like 20 times to get it to go away or else it will just keep trying over and over. The sam thing happens when ever I try to download or install any kind of software or when I try to update acrobat or any similar programs. I also can't open certain programs.
    How do I indentify what program is missing and how do I replace it?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 (purchased spring 2004)
    It is running Windows XP

Thank you for any help you can give

2. aasimenator

aasimenator

the best way is to do a system restore.
    Start>all programs> accessories>system tools>system restore

3. denali57

denali57 Thread Starter

The problem is the virus that was downloaded wiped out the previous restore points so I was unable to do it, and my laptop only saves restore points up to 2 months earlier and this all happened back in september but I have just been dealing with it. But I came across this site so I figured I would give it a shot. Any other sugestions, I have system discs but have not been able to figure out how to do it.

Thanks for anything you can help out with.

4. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Can you do the following?

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
    To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
    Start your computer.
    When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
    When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
    If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!