1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

deleted mails from thunderbird are coming back

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by chirayu, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chirayu

chirayu Thread Starter

i have set my yahoo mail account on thunderbird. i m facing a problem recently.. after i scan my pc with K7 antivirus and log into my thunderbird i start receiving all the mails that i had previously delelted from thunderbird, although those mails were not deleted from my yahoo account. i m working on windows xp and the thunderbird version is 2.0.0.12...its really crazy coz i received over 700 mails again in my inbox.

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Are only deleted mails being downloaded again?
    Do you want them left on the server after you've deleted them in T-bird?
    T.

3. chirayu

chirayu Thread Starter

no its not necessary for them to stay on the server...but jst wanted to bring one point to ur focus that this happens only when i run antivirus...n yeh i only receive d deleted mails back....
    Thanks....

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hmmm!! K7 seems to be messing with a couple of files in T-bird. I don't know how you can stop it from the K7 end, but there are a couple things you can do in Thunderbird that might help.

If you don't want deleted messages left on the server, in T-bird click Tools>Account Settings>Server Settings.
    Either uncheck "Leave messages on server", which will remove all messages as they download to Thunderbird, or leave it checked and additionally check "Until I delete them" which will remove them from the server when they get deleted in Thunderbird.
    If they aren't on the server, they can't download again.
    This assumes that's where they are coming from.

Another possibility is that K7 is removing the delete tags from the mail files.
    If that's the case, they wouldn't actually be downloading again but just reappearing in the folder they were deleted from. Should be easy enough to tell if they are downloading like new messages or just showing up.
    Compacting the folders before running the AV should prevent that from happening.
    That will remove the tagged messages.
    Let me know if one of those helps.
    T.

5. chirayu

chirayu Thread Starter

hey there...thnks for ur reply but my prob is still not solved...i m getting this prob in my proffessional mail and i dont think it will do any gud to me if i delete all these mails from the server too...how should i go about it now???

6. chirayu

chirayu Thread Starter

sorry i did say earlier i dont mind if it gets deleted from the server too...but i realized tht i cant let it happen...wat shud i do??:confused:

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Are you sure they are downloading from the server?
    Or are they just reappearing?

8. chirayu

chirayu Thread Starter

to throoper...
    i m not sure if they are downloading back from the server or just reappearing..although i hve compactd the local folders yesterday n i wil hv to check out after running d scan again if i face d same prob...till then i will keep this issue unsolved...if there is nethng else u hv to suggest thn im all ears...:D ....thnks again...

9. chirayu

chirayu Thread Starter

hi there...i m again encountering that problem...i can c the message in the left bottom part of window that "downloading messages 1 of 367"....i compacted the inbox folder...deleted all the trash and also compacted it...i restarted thunderbird but again i started receiving all the mails again...this time though i was careful enough not to enable my AV today..i still faced this prob today...can ne1 help me out pls....

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Okay, they are definitely downloading so that narrows it down considerably.
    As it has also done it now without running the AV, best guess would be a corrupt popstate.dat file. That's what keeps track of what has been downloaded.
    Go into the Thunderbird Profile folder.
    Start>Run>type %APPDATA%\Thunderbird\Profiles>OK.
    Open the default folder.
    Open the Mail folder.
    Open the folder for the Yahoo server and find the popstate.dat and delete it. A new one will be created next time you run T-bird.
    Everything will download again, but that should be the last time.
    If that solves the problem for now, but it happens again next time you run the AV, K7 has an exclusions page in it's options where you can set it to not scan individual files.
    Keep me updated on your progress. I'm curious if it's just a coincidence with running the AV or if it's a bug in the K7 program.
    T.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!