1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted My Documents folder in error & need to recover it or the files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AdamRobinson1982, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdamRobinson1982

AdamRobinson1982 Thread Starter

Hi All

ive spend a LONG time seaching the net trying to find a solution to this odd problem which im surprised can and did actually happen.

Basically i had the My Documents folder as a sharing file on my old network. After joining a new network when i moved i tried to remove the folder from My Sharing folder but seem to have deleted the actual My Documents folder and all the files contained within it.:confused:

As such all my photos and files are now removed/deleted or misplaced the within windows XP. My hard drive is still showing as having the same amount of free space as it did prior to me deleting my documents so im thinking that perhaps the files that were previously within my documents folder have been lost or moved somewhere? ive checked obvious places like Recycle Bin but cant locate them anywhere even via the Search function for all files.

FYI There is one account on the laptop which is password protected that i use to log in, its an admin account so should have full access to everything.

When i go in trying to locate the folder from My computer as per the below this is the message i get. Its the same from every shortcut to My Documents too.

'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents is not accessible
    Access Denied'

ive run Chkdsk and tried a number of other things but would really appreciate any suggestions as im now on the verge of accepting that ive lost all my photos (2 most recent sets werent backed up - im stupid i know!) and need to do a fresh install.:mad:

ive found various similar things online but mainly they deal with having deleted short cuts or are to do wth my sharing folder specifically rather than the deletion of the actual my documents folder when the hard drive is still showing the same amount of space.

Pls help and if i can give any more information or details please let me know as im desperate to rescue the photos!

thanks in advance
    Adam

2. rka0

rka0 Banned

3. AdamRobinson1982

thanks im running/ have been running a couple of different data recovery progs but im slightly unsure whether they will actually find the files if they arent truly deleted? any ideas?

4. AdamRobinson1982

i ran recuva and it seemed to find about 25 files out of maybe 250...

there was a lot of other files which i can only assume are stored on the hard drive from net surfing.

Do you think i should call it a day with the 25 i have recovered?

OR

Is it possible the files are not deleted and are merely inaccessible somewhere on the hard drive? In My Computer it still shows the same amount of free space as it did before the accident leading me to think that they must be there somewhere!

Can anyone help?! Please!?! Thanks again.

5. padutch

padutch

have you tried a system restore?

6. AdamRobinson1982

hi yes i did try that when the error first happened but it didnt undelete the my docs folder (n) any other suggestions? i cant actually believe im the only person to have done this or that XP would even let me delete the whole folder! cheers

7. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

8. AdamRobinson1982

thanks but i think its more of a case that access cant be granted since the folder isnt there?

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes, it's happened before. And people have varying luck with a myriad of recovery applications. Did you quickly save the 25 files Recuva found? I would. It may be all you can get.

Use the information at the link Jack Hackett posted to gain access to the My Documents folder in All Users to see if any of your files are there.

System Restore does not, by design, restore deleted data files. It only deals with system files.

If the files are truly not on the drive (i.e. they don't show up in a search) and you can't find them in the All Users\My Documents folder, then your only option is to continue to try different data recovery programs.

10. AdamRobinson1982

thanks doublehelix.... i tried Jacks idea to be safe but the folders show as empty now i have access :mad:

cant believe XP would summarily let you remove 19 gig of data by just pressing a delete button!

cheers il keep trying a couple of the other data recovery progs unless someone has any other suggestions!

I may be able to use Recuva to salvage a couple more from the memory card the pics were taken on... will this work even though there are a few new pics on there? or if it was formatted rather than cleared using the frame function?

again thanks for the assistance

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not that hard to believe. Windows can't determine your intent. You hit the delete button. How is the computer or operating system supposed to know you didn't really mean it? Come on. I know it's frustrating, but you need to keep some perspective here.

There are programs that can recover data from flash memory cards. You could try those for recovering pictures from it.

12. AdamRobinson1982

true re the intent but i would have thought such a key system folder, which is what has been deleted (and all the files contained within it) would at least hit the recycle bin before being completely deleted... fingers crossed for the flash memory then.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It would have gone to the Recycle bin if you had actually pressed the delete button on the keyboard, but your initial post indicates that you attempted to move the folder. A failed move or "cut and paste" operation can result in data loss. The files are not moved to the recycle bin.

14. AdamRobinson1982

sorry re the first posts clarity....

im fairly sure that it was deleted rather than moved though which is why i was surprised it happened.

15. Gail96

Gail96

I can't give you any technical advise - I am a very basic computer users. However, have you looked in the 'Recycle Bin' - maybe, just maybe they are in there. Just a thought.
    Regards, Gail.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!