1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

deleted partion, can not install windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roscozx, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscozx

roscozx Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a problem that I haven't a clue how to solve, I will start from the begining..

I was given a desk top, has 128 ram AMD processor and it came with ME the person that gave iot to me installed XP and the pc was running so slow it took 15 minutes to get to the windows desk top (maybe because it had 2 OS installed).

Very stupidly I booted from the windows disc and deleted the partion, tried to format the partikon but after 1.5 hours and only on 3% it said can not format, windoes will not install and I have no ASR disc.

Not bothered about stuff that was on there just want to start from scratch with XP, I think I may have deleted more then I should have, can anyone help?

2. SB305

SB305

Sounds like the hard drive may be failing.
    Before you buy another hard drive, remember that, once you have installed XP, you will need to install motherboard drivers.
    Take a look at the website of the PC manufacturer (or the motherboard manufacturer if the PC was home-built) to see if you can download these.
    Also consider that 128MB is a VERY small amount of RAM to run XP on.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Yes, 512 MB is considered the minimum size for decent running of XP. Worth putting in 1024 or more, too. Likewise, hard drive should be adequate size. XP runs best if it has "breathing room" and allowing it alone twice the quantity of its installed size is wise. Then add what you think will be needed for programs and files. HDDs are not that more expensive as size increases. I am now using one of 80GB and previously had one of 40GB. I do not download music nor video.

{redoak}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice