1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted partition now won't start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by barb012, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barb012

barb012 Thread Starter

I have a Dell AMD athlon XP 3000+ which the previous owner had partitioned the HD for the DVD player. I followed the instructions to delete the partition for windows XP and now my computer won't start up. It won't let me start up normally or in last known config. In safe mode a get a list of disk/partition with a bunch of start up files. How can I fix this?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How were the partitions configured, then and now? Is the recovery partition still present with the Windows installation files that substitute for the CD? Do you have an XP CD?

How did you delete the partition?

Any changes to laptop partitions often destroys the manufacturer's MBR.

3. DVOM

DVOM

It's possible that your "boot.ini" file is now pointing to the wrong partition. I've always used a LiveLinux CD to get in there, look at the partition setup with GParted, then edit the 'boot.ini".

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's probably more likely that the boot.ini, other boot files, and the MBR are all now gone.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989228