1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stoicism, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stoicism

Stoicism Thread Starter

I'm just going to lay the story out from the beginning and build up to my current status of the problem.

I had a working desktop pc with a single hard drive (200GB) that had 2 partitions. I had my main partition that had literally everything on it. And a 2nd partition labeled "hp_recovery."(@ 10gb) In the past I had formatted and reinstalled no problem and for some reason every time I did a new install that recovery would carry over and I know what it's there for but I got tired of losing 10 gigs for nothing since I have my own install cd. So one day I just got impulsive and decided I was going to just delete that recovery partition and merge the empty space into my main partition and just have 1 big one. Well I deleted it using partition magic or a similar program and got rid of it pretty easy, BUT thinking it would just be so smooth after restart my system would not boot and just hanged at a blank black screen after power on. So I tried to fix the MBR and try to get a boot out of my main partition but had no luck. Not wanting to create a new partition out of the 10gig and install xp just to recover my files and burn to cds I decided to try to recover the lost partition and undo all changes I made and just deal with the extra partition on my pc until I could find a better solution.

I looked up software on my other pc and tried many different data recovery programs such as, Partition Table Doctor, Parted Magic, EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro. These are all DOS bootable versions since the pc cannot load windows in any form. I've recovered the hp_recovery partition successfully but did so under NTFS when it was originally FAT32 so I tried to recover again and some how I wrote over my main NTFS partition and now all my files are gone and only got a FAT32 main partition with my old hp_recovery partition now as NTFS.

Where I am now: I have done a full scan once more with EASEUS Data Recovery wizard pro and it did find all my old files and I have them selected to restore but when it asks to "Save files to:" I have no where to save them because the recovery is 10gigs and the slot which used to be my main partition is some weird 10mb FAT32 partition and I know there is at least 180gigs not being used but I cant save to that empty space. I have no where to save the files to and don't want to try anything else because I'm not very experienced in partition recovery yet and don't want to experiment anymore.

I'm pulling my hair out over this ordeal and would really appreciate any response I can get. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is little to be done at this point but save the files and delete all the partitions. Your files should be backed up, anyway, and after all this stress on the drive, failure is a greater possibility than it was. So copy what files you can to somewhere else, the network, DVD's, flash drives, or whatever, because when the drive fails (and it will), every single thing on it will be gone forever.

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

Another thing you can try is booting with a BartPE CD. If it can see the files, you can copy them to other media. If the files are available with that boot CD, there is a chance that you can restore the system to bootability but it's pretty slim due to your manipulations.

Another possibility, if you get lucky, it just might be the boot files or MBR that is corrupt so booting with a Quick Boot CD could allow access for repairs. Worth a shot. Click Here To Get One.

If still no joy, you can contact HP and tell them your HD has failed. They will sell you a set of Restore CD's that will put the system back to factory shipped condition. Costs about $20. If it's in warranty, they will supply a pre-loaded replacement drive.

5. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Elvandil,
    The option of backing up to a usb flash looks very viable! I value your posts highly, but what do you mean that"after all this stress" on @OP'S HD, will lead to a HD failure? Kindly elaborate! Thanks.(y)

6. Stoicism

Stoicism Thread Starter

Currently Booting with BartPE and then loading Data Recovery Wizard through that is the only way I have been able to see my lost files, but since there is a trashed partition in the way of where I need to restore the original one I can't save those files back onto the hdd. Right now I don't think I have restored a bootable Partition but if someone can tell me how I can make room just to restore one that would help. My safest bet is obtaining a external hdd and just backup all the files there. I will probably purchase one and make sure my files are safe before I experiment any further. Do you think it would hurt if i just deleted all current partitions, made a fresh NTFS partition with enough space to house all my files, and then reloading Data recovery wizard would work? It's just a theory of mine but you guys probably know more. Thanks

7. surferdude2

surferdude2

I hold no hope that you will be able to restore your system to bootability. Your best shot at saving your personal files is to hook another drive up, either an external or internal, and then boot to the BartPE and copy the files to that new media.

Then you can wipe all existing partitions from your old drive, repartition it as a single partition, format, and install XP anew. You can do all that from the XP setup CD.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It was a simple reference to the fact that all drives will fail if not taken out of commision before they do, and that moving partitions (and thus data) so many times has put many more miles on a mechanical device, thus shortening its projected life. Nothing more complicated than that. :D

9. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Elvandil,
    Okay! I have only recently found that computers are humans after all! Every system restore point will"expire" after 90 days and that is a built in! FIFO!First In First Out! Every cell in the human body is programmed to die after a specific period of time! I opened my pathology textbook by Robinson and this hits me like a streak of lightning in the first para! WOW!

10. Stoicism

Stoicism Thread Starter

It's been a while since I posted here but I literly finally got an external hdd with 500 gigs. Well when I loaded up bartPE, Ran Data recovery wizard and loaded up my deleted partition to save to my device. My external would not show up as a place to save to in the program. I know the hdd works because I accessed and formatted it on my working computer. The program even detects it as a hdd to recover in the recovery options but when I choose my internal then get to the point where I need a place to save my deleted files to my external does not show up. I guess my question is do you know any other good partition recovery programs I could get to find my lost partitions and then either restore to my internal or save all files to external? Thanks

11. Stoicism

Stoicism Thread Starter

I'm still hoping there an answer to my last post. I know my data is there I can see it using Data Recovery Wizard but it wont let me save to an external or the internal. Anyone know other good partition recovery software that allows saving files to an external or something?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/941550