1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted RECYCLER folder on USB flash drive...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skylights, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

I accidentally deleted the RECYCLER (or maybe RECYCLED, I can't remember which) folder off my USB flash drive, and now when I delete any file off the flash drive, it disappears into the ether instead of going into the Recycling Bin. How do I get the RECYCLER (or RECYCLED) folder back? I'm using XP SP2. Thanks...

John

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

What kind of flash drive is this?
    Manufacturer/model/capacity

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

what difference does the mfg/type/cap make?

create the folder again.

this isn't the recycle bin that xp uses.

4. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

How do I create the folder again? Just like any other folder? And do I call it RECYCLER or RECYCLED?

5. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

I don't think I've ever seen a USB flash drive with it's own recycle bin, external USB harddrives yes. Perhaps this was an extra program specific to your flash drive's model.

6. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

It's the RECYCLER folder, not the recycle bin exactly. I think every drive has one, doesn't it? You normally don't see it because it's hidden (it's in the root directory), but I set folder options to show all hidden files and folders. All I know is that now when I delete a file, it doesn't go into the recycle bin like it should. I have to use a recovery program if I want to undelete the file.

By the way, it's just a store brand (MicroCenter) 1GB USB flash drive.

7. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

connect the usb drive. right click on the recycle bin, properties, change the GLOBAL setting from 'use one setting for all drives' to 'configure drives independently'. now click the tab for your usb drive letter, clear the box 'do not move files to the recycle bin' and apply settings. go back to GLOBAL, set it back to 'use one setting for all drives' and apply again.

8. indranx

indranx

So why not u format your USB again? It will come back rite? Or borrow from ur buddies and get the files for fast solution. :)

And just share it with us :)....

MicroCenter, sorry i don't have it. I use Kingston 1GB stick.

9. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

Oracle, that's a great idea, except there is no tab for my USB flash drive. I tried rebooting and that didn't help either. The drive is shown in My Computer, so I dunno...

indranx, I also thought that formatting would bring back the RECYCLER folder, but it didn't. In fact, I realized after doing a full reformat that this ruined my opportunity to use a file recovery program to bring back the RECYCLER folder.

I'll ask around for someone with a flash drive, but there has to be a way to resolve this on my own. Any other ideas?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644072