1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted User Account - Access Denied!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lil bg, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lil bg

lil bg Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a Compaq computer that came with a System Recovery feature. My Dad decided to enable the feature which wiped out most of my Win XP Home OS settings. All the user accounts were deleted, leaving me with the default Owner and Administrator. I need to access the folders for the old user accounts that were deleted. When logged on as Administrator, under Documents and Setting there are folders for the deleted user accounts. However, I am NOT able to access the folders for the users accounts that required a password to logon. I get a "Access Denied" message. I checked the ownership of this folder, and it is the Administrator. I have ran "control userpasswords2" and no accounts exist except the Owner and Administrator. I can't access this folder and really need to recover that data. Is there any way I can get to this data? It has a NTFS partition. Thanks for any input!

2. Cantrip#10

Cantrip#10

3. lil bg

lil bg Thread Starter

I tried your suggestion, but taking ownership of the folder didn't help.
    I also tried to access the folder through DOS and still got the "Access is Denied". Any other suggestions? I'm at a lost! :(

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

DOS under XP is not actually DOS, its a DOS emulator that runs under Windows XP. Thats why its denying access, it understands security as its still within Windows.

Booting from a DOS disk will not help either, as DOS cannot read NTFS.

You could be in trouble if the standard methods dont allow you to take ownership.

There is a Linux bootable CD available that runs the Knoppix Operating System. That should allow full access to all NTFS partitions, and it should be free.

Just for future understanding, NEVER store important data under a user area My Documents in XP, unless its needed to be kept confidential. If the user profile corrupts (and it does happen, quite often) all this data can be lost. Its the price you pay for security.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!