1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deleted windows 98 on Gateway

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ohhelpmenow, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohhelpmenow

ohhelpmenow Thread Starter

My son thought he was doing my neighbors a favor when asked to delete a game from their computer. In the process he deleted windows (and maybe some other things) from their system. I have tried to reinstall it with no luck.

I have tried to use the refresher disc to recofigure the computer, but after several attempts, and nothing more than the windows screen coming up and shutting down the computer, I have turned to you for help.

How do I reinstall windows 98 on their computer?

2. jm100dm

jm100dm

Can you boot to the C: prompt.

While booting up press f8 repeatedly and when the menu comes up select the command prompt by using your down arrow and then pressing the enter key.

type in scanreg /restore

select a date prior to the problem.

Hope that this helps.

jm100dm

3. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Create a Start up disk by going to the control panel/ Add and remover and the tab Startup disk.

From there put leave the disk in the A: drive and reboot the computer and let it bypass the windows startup files and when you get to the A: prompt click Fdisk and follow all instructions do a format of the drive and when asked put the windows98 disk in.

Once this is all done don't forget the do the windows update for the system. That should be it.
    If this is just a recovery disk just put the recovery disk in and reboot and then follow instructions.

J

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice